My experience with insurance and tech trips…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dusty123

Contributor
Reaction score
So I’m posting this in the technical forum for the purpose of reaching the relevant people…(and maybe making a stink)…I paid for a trip to Bikini Atoll and the trip was ultimately a failure due to issues with the airline….It was higly encouraged to purchase insurance on this trip which I did as its a difficult destination to get all the ducks in a row. The operator of this trip markets a particular insurance company and claims they are in partnership with them…Well a typhoon showed up and things went south and despite the operators best efforts most of us went home when the boat left without us… We all got a letter from the operator describing the situation in detail to the insurance company. Some have been paid for the trip, some have been offered lesser amounts claiming deductibles, and some of us have straight had smoke blown up our rears. So for the future is there any insurance companys for trips of this order that you have had success with that aren’t afraid of paying out for tech trips gone sideways?

So I’m posting this in the technical forum for the purpose of reaching the relevant people…(and maybe making a stink)…I paid for a trip to Bikini Atoll and the trip was ultimately a failure due to issues with the airline….It was higly encouraged to purchase insurance on this trip which I did as its a difficult destination to get all the ducks in a row. The operator of this trip markets a particular insurance company and claims they are in partnership with them…Well a typhoon showed up and things went south and despite the operators best efforts most of us went home when the boat left without us… We all got a letter from the operator describing the situation in detail to the insurance company. Some have been paid for the trip, some have been offered lesser amounts claiming deductibles, and some of us have straight had smoke blown up our rears. So for the future is there any insurance companys for trips of this order that you have had success with that aren’t afraid of paying out for tech trips gone sideways?
From the operators side, we partnered with Travel Guard, and as fas as I know, they never denied a claim.

Good to know, it’s getting to a point where you aren’t just worried about the gas (u can analze that), but logistics when things take a dump.

Keep fighting. I was on the trip before you with covid delay from 2020. How did you book? I ended up with onboard trip credit (sorb etc) and a master LOB future trip credit. I paid for my own trip cancellation & travel policy from my home insurer, i was fed up with the agent and master. It was about $800. Just throw more cash in that dumpster fire.

Ask if someone else on the trip who was reimbursed would send you copies of the claim. I had to throw around BC consumer protection laws. Our trip was reduced by 2 days and if we haven’t been proactive they woud have kept our money.

We are lucky we made it out there. I think they pushed it on the May 2nd trip. The crossing was gross.

Still fighting…Its just not good trying to make these remote adventures happen and you seemingly do your do diligence and get screwed. Happy to go stick my head in a cave in Mexico in a few weeks rather than worry about a south pacific trip that might happen.

I don't think that it being a "tech" trip has anything at all to do with the insurance companies decision or process on whether to pay out or not on the "travel" part of the trip. Either the identified trip goes as planned or it doesn't.

Hey Dusty: I'm sorry to hear about this. I appreciate you posting this though. I haven't experienced this problem. I've definitely worried about a company denying claims though. I do hope you get some resolution.

Hey Dusty: I'm sorry to hear about this. I appreciate you posting this though. I haven't experienced this problem. I've definitely worried about a company denying claims though. I do hope you get some resolution.

Thanks, its not a huge bunch that does this sort of thing, tech or not…I just don’t find it encouraging getting stiffed doesn’t proliferate the activity thats for sure.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom