My Experience w/H2O Gear Insurance through DAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_O_H

Contributor
Reaction score
As you may have read here, I had a bunch of scuba gear stolen out of my garage a few months ago.

Only a few months prior to the theft, I had purchased H20 equipment insurance through DAN after receiving as a Christmas present an expensive housing to house my expensive camera. I luckily chose to add all my gear to the policy, rather than just my camera and housing. The total cost was around $150.

I filed a claim for my stolen gear sometime in mid-April and was a little concerned when I received a very businesslike (not exactly terse, but not at all friendly either) e-mail from H2O's claims adjuster. She was asking for a pile of information, including a list of what was stolen, receipts for such items (if available), the replacement cost for such items, support for such estimates and a copy of my police report.

I put together a list of the stolen items and a list of links showing their retail prices. I searched and searched for my receipts and couldn't find any (terrible, I know). I followed SFPD's arduous procedure for requesting a police report to the letter and decided to put my claim on the back burner until the police report arrived.

I continue to wait for a copy of my police report to this day. SFPD is apparently absolutely terrible about sending these. I called (again) to complain yesterday and was told they are still working on sending police report requests that were requested in February. They could not give me an estimate as to when I would receive my report.

I had long since replaced my gear, so I haven't been in a terrible rush to get my claim processed, but decided I probably should touch base with H20, since I hadn't communicated with them in almost two months. I sent my list of stolen gear with prices to my adjuster and let her know how much I thought they owed me. I also confessed that could find no receipts and let her know I was still waiting on the SFPD report.

To my surprise, she responded immediately and said she'd like to just go ahead and process my claim based on the list I sent. A few hours later, she let me know my claim was approved and that she would pay out a little over $100 more than I thought I was owed due to her different (and better!) way of applying my deductible.

I probably did not need to make such a longwinded post, but the bottom line is I am very thankful I had H20 insurance and am very pleased with their claims process. They paid out full replacement value for all of my stolen gear with little or no hassle (other than the hassle I inflicted on myself by trying to put together a perfect package of support for my claim before communicating with them).

--Scott

Good news Scott, will have to look into this insurance myself.

D_O_H:
As you may have read here, I had a bunch of scuba gear stolen out of my garage a few months ago.

Only a few months prior to the theft, I had purchased H20 equipment insurance through DAN after receiving as a Christmas present an expensive housing to house my expensive camera. I luckily chose to add all my gear to the policy, rather than just my camera and housing. The total cost was around $150.

I filed a claim for my stolen gear sometime in mid-April and was a little concerned when I received a very businesslike (not exactly terse, but not at all friendly either) e-mail from H2O's claims adjuster. She was asking for a pile of information, including a list of what was stolen, receipts for such items (if available), the replacement cost for such items, support for such estimates and a copy of my police report.

I put together a list of the stolen items and a list of links showing their retail prices. I searched and searched for my receipts and couldn't find any (terrible, I know). I followed SFPD's arduous procedure for requesting a police report to the letter and decided to put my claim on the back burner until the police report arrived.

I continue to wait for a copy of my police report to this day. SFPD is apparently absolutely terrible about sending these. I called (again) to complain yesterday and was told they are still working on sending police report requests that were requested in February. They could not give me an estimate as to when I would receive my report.

I had long since replaced my gear, so I haven't been in a terrible rush to get my claim processed, but decided I probably should touch base with H20, since I hadn't communicated with them in almost two months. I sent my list of stolen gear with prices to my adjuster and let her know how much I thought they owed me. I also confessed that could find no receipts and let her know I was still waiting on the SFPD report.

To my surprise, she responded immediately and said she'd like to just go ahead and process my claim based on the list I sent. A few hours later, she let me know my claim was approved and that she would pay out a little over $100 more than I thought I was owed due to her different (and better!) way of applying my deductible.

I probably did not need to make such a longwinded post, but the bottom line is I am very thankful I had H20 insurance and am very pleased with their claims process. They paid out full replacement value for all of my stolen gear with little or no hassle (other than the hassle I inflicted on myself by trying to put together a perfect package of support for my claim before communicating with them).

--Scott

Thanks for posting. I was actually interested in people's experience.

I'm just upgrading my still and video setups and was considering my insurance options.

Nice to know it worked out for you.

Do you know if the insurance was a good deal ompared to adding them to your homeowner's policy? (although I am guessing homeowners wont cover H2O damage)

limeyx:
Do you know if the insurance was a good deal ompared to adding them to your homeowner's policy? (although I am guessing homeowners wont cover H2O damage)

There's probably not much marginal cost to adding the items to your homeowner's policy. You may not even need to specifically add them to have them be covered.

I'd be surprised if your homeowners covered you for things like flooding or theft while away from your home (which is what I was really worried about - the garage thing was quite a surprise).

I agree. Last October I was in Cozumel when Wilma hit. Well, the few days before while diving my housing flooded and the camera was toast. I had purchased the DAN insurance and before I left never thinking I really needed it. They were easy to deal with, handled the claim fast and sent a check for full replacemtn cost minus the deductable. I now have all of my equipment on it!!

My buddy has H2O from Dan as well. He flooded his Nikonos this past December. He sent it off for a repair estimate, then forwarded the estimate to DAN. He had a check in a very short period of time.

The only problem with adding it to your homeowner's is that making a claim albeit small compared to a claim for damage to your home, can put you on the radar for cancellation. That's the reason my buddy went with DAN. A very good friend of his is an insurance agent and he counseled against putting on the homeowner's for this very reason.

sweet!

hey, can't you just go to the police building and request a police report?

they do that here in Jacksonville all the time, takes about an hour total

Diver Lori:
The only problem with adding it to your homeowner's is that making a claim albeit small compared to a claim for damage to your home, can put you on the radar for cancellation. That's the reason my buddy went with DAN. A very good friend of his is an insurance agent and he counseled against putting on the homeowner's for this very reason.

That is why you should also not put your auto insurance together with your home owners insurance. They can and might cancel both over something vehicle related.

Nice to hear DAN insurance works well.

I hope H20 doesn't cancel me. I haven't broached the topic of adding my new gear to the policy yet out of fear that they'll tell me to take a hike.

My camera, housing and can light did not get stolen, so I'm still covered on those, which are the things most likely to flood and die. I think I'm going to just let the other stuff ride until it comes time to renew.

Back
Top Bottom