My ears are hissing--What is going on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were blonde, I'd say it was your brains leaking out :wink:

Had the same exact thing happen to me on the flight home from Iraq. I got a perforate ear drum from a roadside bomb about 2 months prior and while popping my ears on the flight back to the states it popped and then had a hissing sound and a weird ringing. It bothered me for about 3 days and after seeing the medic, found out it had gotten another very small hole in it. He said that the pressure from the altitude was probably the culprit. Only took about 2 or 3 days for the ringing and everything to stop. went to florida about a month and a half later and had no problems. good luck, hopefully you get the good news from the doc

leah:
Just called DAN. They said they weren't sure and that I should call my GP. So, I have made an appointment to get them checked out just to be on the safe side.

The DAN guy said based on what I told him it could go either way it could be a perf in the eardrum or it could be ok.

I will let you know what the Doc says after my apt on Wednesday.

Since this is something new that I have experienced, I want to check it out to be on the safe side. The water will wait for me if my ears aren't ready to hit the water.

Thanks for the follow up leah! Hopefully you will get good news from your doctor!

BeachJunkie, thanks for your service in Iraq, I am glad you made it home.

I only heard the hissing at the end of trying to equalize my ears. As soon as I stop equalizing the hisssing stops. It is more of a gentle leaking air sound.

I practice eqaulizing all the time above the water and this was new for me so I just want to make sure of what is going on before I hit the water. My apt is at 3pm tomorrow, so I will post as soon as the doc lets me know what he thinks.

leah:
I have allergies and always a have a lot of drainage. Last week, I went to the doc with a sinus infection and was also informed that I had an ear infection.

Don't have a diagnosis for you, but your head plumbing sounds like my wife's. Talk to your Doc about an Rx for Flonase, a steroidal nasal spray. You use it daily for a week before a dive trip, then every day of the trip. My wife swears by it.

If you want to find out if it's a perforated ear drum, put some 'ear beer' in there (50% alcohol, 50% white vinegar, or whatever you use).
If you have a hole in your ear drum, you'll know very quickly as the solution will continue down your eustachian tubes towards your throat, burning all the way.

Note that I'm not a doctor and what I just posted shouldn't be considered medical advice....:wink:

highdesert:
Don't have a diagnosis for you, but your head plumbing sounds like my wife's. Talk to your Doc about an Rx for Flonase, a steroidal nasal spray. You use it daily for a week before a dive trip, then every day of the trip. My wife swears by it.

The Doc had me on Benedryl, Flonase, Alevert, and Singular (sp?). And that stuff really did help get things under control for me. I have backed off all but two Benedryl before bedtime. I hate taking stuff and if I could stop that I would. I have done pretty well the last 6 months with only the Benedryl. This is the first sinus infection that I have had since we sort of got things under control.

When I equalize today everything seems normal again, but I am still going to the doc just to find out for sure.

SparticleBrane:
If you want to find out if it's a perforated ear drum, put some 'ear beer' in there (50% alcohol, 50% white vinegar, or whatever you use).
If you have a hole in your ear drum, you'll know very quickly as the solution will continue down your eustachian tubes towards your throat, burning all the way.

Note that I'm not a doctor and what I just posted shouldn't be considered medical advice....:wink:

This sounds like the advice someone gave me a while back to hang my head upside down off the bed and fill my sinus passages with sea salt water. It certainly did clear my sinus passages---AND I THOUGHT DEATH MIGHT BE NEAR AS I COULD FEEL IT BURNING THE BACK OF MY EYEBALLS!!:light: OH THAT IS A BAD MEMORY!

I do use the ear beer stuff after diving and it works really well at drying my ears out and keeping them happy.

SparticleBrane:
I know that was in jest, but isn't alcohol ototoxic? (I know I have read very firm instructions not to use it should you even suspect a perforated eardrum.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom