My DIY dive float.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did this one awhile ago and have used it for scuba diving and occasionally as a surface float for freedive spearfishing.

For the float I took some 2" thick closed cell foam and glued 2 pieces together. This was then cut into the shape pictured. The final dimensions are 24" x 12" x 4". This was then completely fiberglassed over. I've loaned it out a few times so it's been beat up a bit, mostly from being in the back of peoples truck beds and having stuff thrown on top of it. I make minor repairs to it by using sealant ( the black stuff ). I could always glass over the damaged areas, but sealant works for small repairs and reinforcements.

I glassed a 1/4" thick board onto the top and screwed a cleat and stainless eye for a fairlead onto the top of the board.

The line used is 120' of spearfishing foam filled floatline, which is nice because it keeps the line from gathering around you at depth. Normal polypro line would work also.

I have a surplus strobe which I clip to the bottom of the float while in use.

The line holder is made from a scrap sheet of aluminum. I cut a 2lb. lead weight in half and bolted the halves onto each side of the aluminum plate. The line holder would float away at depth if there was 8-10 wraps of line around it. The lead weight keeps it negative.

I have a dive flag (not pictured), that is a little bigger than the float, approx. 30" x 20".

It works great for the shore dives we have here in Guam, it has stayed up in windy or choppy conditions as well as small surf around 1-2 ft.

-Mitch

Attachments

• IMGP0260.jpg
    IMGP0260.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMGP0261.jpg
    IMGP0261.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 581
  • IMGP0262.jpg
    IMGP0262.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 485
Great job, thanks for sharing.