My Dive buddy is afraid of getting eaten by a Shark.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take my chances with the zebra mussels, thankyouverymuch!

Marie13,
Many pilots, including me, have a fear of heights, but when flying, the joy of soaring through the air like an eagle somehow magically makes the fear of heights evaporate, at least for that period of time. Having experienced that loss of fear during thousands of flights, I think the first time you descend over a gorgeous reef filled with an unbelievable palate of colors, shapes, and textures in coral and fish, the sheer joy of that experience will make you forget your fears during the dive. You will be dazzled and mesmerized. But be warned, that experience will be expensive for you because you will want to go back and do it again, and again, and again. And you will not likely be able to replicate that sense of awe and emotion in the Great Lakes or quarries.
I call ********. My divebuddy (who has 13 more dives than me, but who's counting?) was well prepared (and positioned) to experience my moment of panic as I breasted my first wall. She laughing blew almost as many bubbles as me in panic mode.

We both still enjoy natural shark encounters.... Saw a few on every dive on our last T&C trip.

I'll take my chances with the zebra mussels, thankyouverymuch!

Don't they have tornadoes in the Great Lakes regions?

I know how to deal with high surf, riptides, earthquakes, and sizzling temperatures but would have no clue about tornadoes. Or zebra mussels. And I was going to go lake diving in Minnesota this summer.

Don't they have tornadoes in the Great Lakes regions?

I know how to deal with high surf, riptides, earthquakes, and sizzling temperatures but would have no clue about tornadoes. Or zebra mussels. And I was going to go lake diving in Minnesota this summer.
yep we got all kinds o cable tv up here.

Too much..

I never made it through the first Sharknado movie. Do they only occur over salt water? They made at least three of those movies so I would think they would need to make it inland to maintain interest.
Well, we all are fresh water, and I just seen sharks on TV. I am not sure whut this really means. But I am keeping my feet on the bed tonight. No telling what is swimming about on the floor...

Tell your friend that if his fear comes true then at least he will make the local papers.

Yearly Worldwide Shark Attack Summary :: Florida Museum of Natural History

Of the millions of scuba dives made last year, there was only one unprovoked attack on SCUBA divers in 2016.

2015 had the highest number of unprovoked attacks ever recorded, zero were on divers.

2014 also had zero attacks on divers.

However, I agree with the idea that rational explanations generally won't work, mostly because the fear itself is an irrational fear. Trying to remedy irrationality with rationality often doesn't work so well!

When I worked in dive stores, it was a shark week tradition that we would get calls from people who were interested in scuba but wanted "one of those shark proof metal suits" or "one of those gun-stick things to blow sharks up with."

I wanted to tell them, "Don't worry, the black wetsuit and fins make you look like a seal. Sharks are scared of seals."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom