my deep air story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
its 2009 and its a deepish wreck in malta.
top is 55m and sea floor is 70m

its a big frieghter sunk by a u-boat in the first war.

So its me and my buddy on a set of 12ltr twins(232bar) on air with 50% for deco in a couple of stage bottles.
The water was warm and clear and most of the dive was at about 65m and everything was just going to plan.
The wreck is in fact one of the best wrecks i have ever dived due to the small amout of attention it gets.
The end of our bottom time was at the bow with us filling the shot line lift bag with gas and ascending to our deco stops.
My buddy started to fill the lift bag while i just hung in mid water making my goodbyes to the wreck.
Anyway i was diving indy twins and it was about time for a reg switch from one tank to the other.

This is really weird i thought-
so i had removed my left reg and let it hang around my neck but what do i do now?
I was at 60m .
i reached down for my other reg but what appeared in front of me was my right spg.
120bar it said
thats great i thought -plenty of gas left ---but there was this funny thought that something was not 100% right

I looked at my dive buddy who was filling the shot line lift bag and i looked back at the bows of the wreck thinking that this is really good but im sure i need to do something.
Anyway the penny dropped and i found my right hand reg.
We ascended and did our stops.

my buddy told me later that i had no reg in my mouth for at least 90 secs.

scary deep air story over.

Hahaha, you probably had a reg in your mouth the whole time and your buddy thought the reg was a hose attacking you. Or it was like 3 seconds while you switched and he was too narc'ed to keep up with time properly.

Either way, scary story and I'm glad you came out alright.

I totally believe this, and I recognize the feeling. When I'm narced, I don't feel buzzed or drunk. I just have a "Huh . . . " reaction to things. I look stupidly at things that ought to have meaning to me, and don't. I get that same sense from this story.

hmm.

There is a local wreck that I have considered doing on air @ 54 meters (~180 ft)...

My worst deep air experience started at 40m. I had just descended with my buddy and we "landed" just on top of a group of divers who we found out afterwards were doing a deep dive for AOW (this was in 1985). They were swimming single file along a bit of a wall that drops off there to... not sure... maybe 80-100m or so. Naturally, in 1985 nobody was too concerned about doing a deep training dive without a hard bottom, but that's another story.

Just as we were arriving, the last diver in the line swam into a big ball of discarded fishing line. We didn't know what what happening because we couldn't see the line, just that he started acting spastically and sinking in an uncontrolled fashion. His instructor didn't notice but we did, and we went after him. We finally caught up and pinned him against the wall at some un-Godly depth. I remember looking at my SPG and thinking, "this is bad" and then dropping it ... and picking it up again and thinking, "this is bad" and dropping it... and picking it up again....

until my buddy arrived on the scene with a brilliant plan... ASCEND!!!!!

I'm not sure if I could have thought of that idea without his help....

R..

Tunnel vision is scary. You have to constantly assess if you're too focused on one thing. If you are, you're working too hard, are too deep, or both.

My deep air experience from 2011:

I was doing a deeper dive with my buddy. The bottom was at 47m. Suddenly there was a white mist around us and I could barely see my fingers. I thumbed the dive, but this was useless as my buddy was at least six feet away and he couldn't see my signals... I could see a distant glow from his 600 lumen led light, though.

Visibility improved near the bottom, and I felt ok, and decided to continue the dive. I could actually see my buddys fins while we were diving along a fixed line. I was carrying a stage cylinder and the regulator was dragging a bit (I did not notice that it was dragging). It got entangled in the line. I noticed this (obviously) and freed myself. Then I continued swimming only to notice that I was not moving. I thought that I had freed myself but I had not. A second attempt resolved the issue.

A bit later I heard that we had entered an overhead environment. Our air bubbles were hitting a distant ceiling a few feet above us. Once we noticed this we turned around. One narcotic fin kick later the visibility was reduced from four feet to about one inch. Nice yellow swirls of mud and a distant glow from my torch hitting the mask were visible...

We were at 47m depth on air, in zero visibility, and the floor was full of timber. We were in a tunnel and we had several minutes of bottom time left. I have never loved a reel like I loved then. I can assure you that the seconds were long.

Am on 1st dive deeper than 160 feet ( had done hundreds of 130 to 155's before, never deeper)....year is 1994.
New buddy George Irvine has lent me double 80's and poodle jacket BC holding them ( he does not use this anymore). I am invited on this dive because he liked the way I handled a spearfishing dive George and Bill Mee saw me on the week previous, to 155 feet or so, in a single 100.

This dive is to a wreck at 260, on air, with pure O2 for deco in a 30 cu ft pony clipped to left side( stage style).
There is a big current, so we are weighted heavy to fall FAST. At 180 feet, I am falling like a Sky Diver, and put my feet below me, preparing to add air to BC...Fins are flopping in the breeze of this rapid descent. By 220 feet I am getting the BC filled up with air to arrest this 300 foot per minute descent, and see the deck coming up fast. I "hit" the deck feet first, and have to actually absorb the impact with my legs like I jumped off something high up.

I am standing on the deck, holding my big double barrel 56 inch Ultimate Speargun( custom made by Pat Frain), and seeing thousands of big amberjacks surrounding us...but really I am only dimly aware of anything beyond the enormous head rush I am suddenly feeling, as the narc has exploded in my head--almost like I just snorted a line of coke 3 feet long....As I contemplate the wonders of the universe, and time has no meaning....George suddenly blasts up to me and smacks the back of my head, and points to a huge black grouper over 60 pounds...and looks at me like, "Get this!!!"....then he and Bill move on.....

So now I have a "mission"....and that is all there is. I want to go after the monster fish, and recall that none of the tech divers have EVER spearfished on this deep stuff before....and there is quite some excitement over this. While I want to start swimming after this fish, I don't remember how to swim....I am standing on the deck, lean forward, and just kind of almost fall forward....this did not work, I try again, like a "drunk" trying to get up "steam" to climb a flight of stairs....Suddenly I remember how to kick, and I am off and following the big fish, which is still in view and in no hurry to leave.
In a next few moments, the narc seems to pass....I remember to look at the pressure guage for the tank I am breathing out of ( I am using double independants)..then I look at my Us Divers Monitor II computer to see how long I have been down--I remember at 25 minutes we must all form up at the line George tied off the buoy to...and I see the fish and pick a vector to reach him with....these are three "thoughts" that I can juggle in my depth addled brain.....and I keep thinking of one, then the other, then the other.....this will work, until I add a fourth--because at this depth my IQ will only handle three thoughts, not 4..one is going to get lost....

The big fish takes off...not sure why, but now I am surrounded by about 30 big grey groupers, and they are "wagon training" me....I put on a 9 mm powerhead, and pop the first one...80 feet away about 5 other tech divers are suddenly reaching all over their 1st stages, trying to figure out if the explosion they just heard was one of their regs :)
As I try to put the first 25 pound grouper on my stringer, the coordination to do this seems like threading a needle, and nearly impossible....it takes me what feels like forever, and all the while, it is killing me that I am still getting wagon trained by the groupers, and if anything they are closer now, in a tight circle around me...Somehow I remember to look at my pressure guage, and then switch to the other tank, still full....then back to more shooting..I have to hurry, and shoot as many as possible..... I end up getting one more, I have no idea how long this took...and just as I am getting it strung, I feel a sudden big grab on my shoulder...there is George-- and now eye to eye with me--and he is pointing at his computer and at mine....now showing 25 minutes...and he signals "what was I thinking" with a smack to his own head....and a grin I think.
So clearly I lost a few of the important thoughts I was juggling. Fortunately George and Bill were just sight seeing, and were not task loaded.

We all assemble....we are all there and ready....and as previously discussed, we all do a 100% inflation of our BC's, and I begin to rocket upward at an insane speed....The overpressure relief on my BC is screaming so loud that it hurts my ears....and there is this huge monster made of a wall of bubbles chasing us from below....all of us are blasting upward in a group together, chased by this monster....and we watch our computers for the depth to show close to 100 feet--where we will dump the BC....As we approach this, I do a complete dump, and the world becomes quiet again, and the rocketlike ascent is instantly over....the bubbles engulf us, and then we are in about 100 foot of vis, in calm water, nothing to see in any direction but us. I am still very high from the narc, but not task loaded at all, so everything is quite easy.

We hang at 100 for about 2 minutes, and then begin a slow swimming ascent to the first stop at 50 feet.
At the 50 foot stop, some of the other tech divers in our group --guys that before the dive were talking about the long boring deco that would be an hour of doing nothing--and where they had brought some books to read underwater.....these guys now were not pulling the books out...they were instead staring at me and my big fish on the stringer, and the blood...and they were spinning 360 degrees pretty much non-stop..And they did not look too bored to me :)

The narc wears off by the 30 foot stop....and at the 20 foot stop, we each switch to our 100% O2.
When mine is empty, I go back to 2nd tank I had been breathing, and do the ascent to the surface.
I felt like a kid at the Junior Prom, every thing was Rainbows and intensity.....And I knew I would need to be doing this every week for a very long time!!!

Dan, that is a crazy story. I have done a bounce to 250 and felt generally crappy, many more to 220 and didn't feel that great. Now I limit myself to 180 in clear, warm water and feel fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom