My Cozumel experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
I would say that "untouched" may be a little strong, even through my "rose colored glasses", but they did look pretty good. I talked with Jorge at Blue Angel about it and he said that if you dive the reefs every day like they do, you can see the evidence of Wilma's passing on every reef.

That said, it's still far and away the best diving I can easily get to, and I will go back there any and every chance I get. Viva Cozumel!

I guess I didn't look hard enough for damage. Maricaibo was full of sea fans, finger corals, sponges, many delicate types of sealife. I didn't see any sand on the reef.
SO, it may be a little strong to say "untouched", but I couldn't find damage there.

As we worked further North, damage became more and more evident. I admit that at times, I felt that the chances for recovery on some reefs was hopeless. But, I think that you would agree, 90% of the reefs looked to be coming back.

No matter what, the water was clear and warm, and the drifting was relaxing. The towers, canyons, and swim throughs were amazing.

You were there longer and did quite a few more dives than I did this time, so you probably had more time to absorb the whole scope of things!

Divedoggie:
I dive in a variety of locations. Mostly cold fresh water, but also the Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Florida and the Keys, etc.
The best bang for the buck is Cozumel.
For me, a 3 1/2 hour flight from Denver, and I am diving that same afternoon.

While there are many GREAT locations in the world to dive, Cozumel even damaged, still ranks among the best.

Divedoggie, I second that. Coming from the DFW area, I can choose to take a 2 1/2 hour flight, roll in about 10:30AM, dive that day and spend $450 for hotel & air or go to say, Bonaire, where I'm in transit for 12 hours, roll in if I'm lucky by 8:30PM and blow a cool $2,400 for the same. In my opinion, the overall diving is better in Bon than in post-Wilma Coz, but I can't beat Coz for the value. It doesn't even compare.

Why people even mention Bonaire and Cozumel in the same sentence still baffles me. There is no comparison on many levels.

jepuskar:
Why people even mention Bonaire and Cozumel in the same sentence still baffles me. There is no comparison on many levels.

I'll leave you for the wolves on that one. This fish isn't biting tonight.

jepuskar:

You must be pretty lonely there at midnight on a Friday huh troll?

And you're right, I'd take Cozumel to Bonaire any day everything considered!!!!!!!!!!

divematt:
You must be pretty lonely there at midnight on a Friday huh troll?

And you're right, I'd take Cozumel to Bonaire any day everything considered!!!!!!!!!!

Jepuskar, ........ Logged dives .. 0 to 15. This makes him an expert on Bonaire and Cozumel. ..... Right.

Mawg:
Jepuskar, ........ Logged dives .. 0 to 15. This makes him an expert on Bonaire and Cozumel. ..... Right.

And you believe that? He's an instructor as well as a troll. :wink:

TheRedHead:
And you believe that? He's an instructor as well as a troll. :wink:

And you dont really think I'm going to listen to someone who describes themselves as an " Agent Provacateur" who lives in " the Event Horizon " do you? .... Seriously.

Mawg:

He is a self-proclaimed troll who has routinely badmouthed Cozumel at least in the past several months. His one and only objective of posting in this forum is to cause trouble or attempt to push buttons...look up his posts. It's entertainment for him being the mature mental giant that he is. Just ignore him...I do. :)

scubabum2:
I'll leave you for the wolves on that one. This fish isn't biting tonight.

Plus, you are right. They don't compare on many levels...other than the fact that the main reason you go there is to use an underwater breathing apparatus, in order to look at things...that are underwater:D

I guess that is why they are used in the same sentence.

Now scuba diving in Coz, and hang gliding in the Swiss Alps probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence!:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom