My brother will be in Raleigh for 3 wks of Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Should I try and convince him to take his scuba gear?

Not knowing what is there and what to dive I'm not sure. (The coast is a couple of hours away.....right???)

It depends on what kind of diver he is. The coast is a couple of hours away, but winter is the off season so there are not many charters running. There is also a chance that he will have a trip canceled by bad weather (wind and seas). I would bring my gear for sure, but many others might not.

The only charters I know of right now is an Aquatic Safaris (www.aquaticsafaris.com) trip going to the City of Houston on 1/13 and a trip to the Rosin wreck on 1/14. The City of Houston is an awesome site - well worth the price of admission. The Rosin Wreck is a pretty nice site too. You might be able to find something in Morehead/Beaufort if you call around, but Wilmington is closer to Raleigh.

You can see some video from the COH on this page:
http://members.aol.com/fpsndiver/FPSN3.html

and some Rosin Wreck video here:
http://www.wilmingtondiving.com/video.shtml

I would go in a heartbeat. If the weather turns bad there is plenty to do in Wilmington for the day.

Rich

I agree with Rich, I would bring the gear and get in a dive with the Aquatic Safaris group. Aquatic Safaris is good about starting a charter, if one is not listed on the days you want to dive. Around here, it's not too hard to enough people to meet the required number of divers... If he sets up a charter, have him post it here and on the site listed in my sig...

what suit is generally needed this time of year.....6mm....7mm....dry??

JeffG:
Should I try and convince him to take his scuba gear?

Not knowing what is there and what to dive I'm not sure. (The coast is a couple of hours away.....right???)

Yep, the coast is two hours away from Raleigh so if he can bring the gear he should take the chance. Like the guys said he should definitely check out Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington and it wouldn't hurt to call Olympus Diving in Morehead either.

If all else fails we can take him to a quarry. :D

suthnbelle:
If all else fails we can take him to a quarry. :D
Woooo hoooo :wink:

I'll see what he says. I'm not sure of his schedule and I could see that weather could be an issue. I know I always wanted to dive NC coast and since he has a chance at a freebie trip, could be fun to take advantage of it.

Thanks everyone.

RICHinNC:
what suit is generally needed this time of year.....6mm....7mm....dry??
According to one of our coastal DMs, the offshore water off of Morehead City is currently in the upper 60s to low 70s. Offshore waters out of Wilmington should be about the same. Inshore waters will be cooler as they are out of the Gulf Stream.

However, this time of year, the concern isn't really the water temps. It's standing around on an open boat deck with possibly cold wind whipping by you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom