My Blackbeard's Cruise Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There may be other reasons for registering a boat with a foreign nation. I'm told cruise ships do so to avoid having to pay U.S. minimum wage. Take a cruise, and see how many U.S. citizens you see on the crew. They also make sure to visit a foreign port, so as to comply with the Jones Act, IIRC. Don't know what the perks of it are for live-aboard vessels; my point is it may not be to enable lower safety standard operations.

Richard.

Hmmm. Most Caribbean liveaboards have US, UK, or Northern European crew, pay is pay regardless of where you are from.

Your theory holds for cruise ships, not necessarily for liveaboards. Crew must hold certain qualifications (dive instructor, captain, chef). The only person with no certification needed is the engineer, and that person is the second highest paid on the boat, after the captain.

Cruise ships are loaded with warm bodies. The important positions (ships officers, steward, engineers) are well paid and well educated. There are a lot of folks that aren't necessarily carrying any certifications, however. They aren't nearly as well paid.

I just reserved my first trip Blackbeard cruise for March 17th. One question I have. They say you should by the Travelex insurance. What does that all cover? Just if you get sick and can make the trip? Did anyone else buy it? Thanks

Did the Cat Palu twice (wife) and black beard once (just me). Had great trips each time. The cat only takes 12 people in 6 rooms. The diving is easy, the tank are on the back of a bench that faces aft. 6 on the port side and 6 on the starboard side. You tank up, stand up and take 3 steps and you are wet. When booking we called Black beard, told them when we were looking to go and they gave us the dive shop that were doing the trip. We then called the dive shop.

I hate to ask this question but it’s a must. Does anyone know how often you were able to get a single on your cell phone, either some sort of Wi-Fi or cell signal? Yes, yes I know. You’re diving and shouldn’t need a phone. Back on the mainland I have a family and it’s nice to know if any communication will be possible. My only other option is renting a satellite phone and being “that guy” pointing the antenna to the sky.....

I have Google fi so I had service almost every night I would shut the phone off during the day and then turn it on each night to check email. I think one night I didn't try it but different plans may have less coverage.

I hate to ask this question but it’s a must. Does anyone know how often you were able to get a single on your cell phone, either some sort of Wi-Fi or cell signal? Yes, yes I know. You’re diving and shouldn’t need a phone. Back on the mainland I have a family and it’s nice to know if any communication will be possible. My only other option is renting a satellite phone and being “that guy” pointing the antenna to the sky.....

Someone (crew or passenger) was either talking on, or otherwise using, their cell most of the trip. I didn't bother myself, but I know that others had a signal most of the time. BTC has coverage of about 50% of the Exumas which seems to cover most of the popular dive spots from what I saw.

I just reserved my first trip Blackbeard cruise for March 17th. One question I have. They say you should by the Travelex insurance. What does that all cover? Just if you get sick and can make the trip? Did anyone else buy it? Thanks

I have my travel insurance and dive insurance both through DAN so I can't speak to what Travelex covers. Sorry.

Captain Breezy
COOL. She was the Divemaster the first trip I was on. Congrats to her.

Did she say something like, "see them, know them, love them" when talking about the sealife?

I don't know anything about Blackbeard's registration, but their parent organization, All Star Liveaboards, is a US company and they operate in the Bahamas, a British territory - so it doesn't seem like they are trying to avoid ports with high safety standards.
Yes, it's the T&C flag, and it's not a flag of convenience; they have to comply with British registration standards and maritime requirements.

I think you'd be better off with DAN trip insurance- if you feel you really need it. I've done three of the BB cruises and never needed the insurance.

Hi, we are going late november, what did you decide about the trip insurance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom