My biggest fear ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by MikeS
it’s difficult if not impossible to dump air from my BC while horizontal.
...involves eliminating the problem...

And yes everyone could benefit... but not everyone wants to benefit... some prefer to live with the problem.

I received and replied to your PM.
:)

Originally posted by tampascott
Anyone ever jerry-rigged a line to the bottom like this. or using a different system?
Hi Scott... When boat diving we often use a weighted grapple hook to drop a line onto the rocks where we dive... (the grapple sinks straight down and will not dig into sand so we know when we have the rocks.)

We use this line to tie off the boat only when the current is minimal an we can get back to the boat without excessive effort... (moving muscles can generate bubbles you know.)

Ascending along this grapple line we can keep ourselves in position to find the boat easily... here in the PNW you can't see the boat from the bottom... but we do not hold onto the line... it is permissible to OK the line if you need to but don't grab it. Any wave action would be transmitted to your arm and pull you up and down... (remember the bubbles.)

If in an area with current we will live boat and drop in without a reference line most of the time (unless we are trying to hit a specific target and might miss it otherwise)... but when we ascend we do so without reference to the line and drift with the current. The waters here in the PNW are so full of marine life that we get better control referencing the little floaties in the water.

We mark our position for pickup with a lift bag or dive marker shot at 70 fsw and can use this line and spool for a reference as well. We don't hold onto the spool for the reason given above... if it starts to drift away we reach out and yank it down a couple times and let go of it again. Yes we check our depth gauge periodically but I find it difficult to do very slow ascents just staring at the gauge.

nickjb,

Why would you, "add air before entering the water" on a "normal" dive? I do add air before entering the water from time to time, but it's not my "normal" proceedure. It is something I do in unusual situations.

The solution wouldn't have anything to do with using a "proper" b/p and wing, would it?

Thanks for both of your detailed replys. I am glad you told me that excerted muscles run a higher risk of bubbles, as I hadn't known that. You're in a great area of the country. I have always enjoyed visiting the PNW. Seattle and SF are my two favorite cities, and boy can you eat good while there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom