My Best/ Worst Dive places in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay...my first post...here's my list:

1. Little Cayman, been 6X (first time in 2003, last time 2012...been in months of August and January)
Likes: Bloody Bay Wall!!!, good reefs, lot of fish, good dive operations, easy to get to, good food, easy peasy all around.
Dislikes: not much that I dislike, but non-divers will probably get bored.
Stayed at: both Little Cayman Beach Resort and Southern Cross Club. Both are very good. SCC is more romantic and more expensive.
Go back?: absolutely

2. Grand Cayman, 8X (1st time 1994, last time 2012)
Likes: walls, good dive operators, easy to get to, good restaurants, lots to do for non-dvers
Dislikes: expensive, too much traffic in Georgetown
Stayed at: Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers in East End (quietest side of island), Cobalt Coast/Divetech (West side of island). Both very good. Wouldn't hesitate to stay at Sunset House, but haven't yet. Have stayed at Coconut Harbor and Cayman Dive Lodge,also, but both destroyed by hurricanes...sigh)
Go back? Absolutely

3. Belize (Turneffe), went 1998
Like: the Elbow...what a wild ride, Lighthouse Reef, Blue Hole
Dislike: bit of a pain to get to the resort
Stayed at: Blackbird Caye
Go Back?: yes, but want to try Turneffe Island Resort

4. Bonaire 3X
1st time 1996, last time 2012. Have been in July and January
Likes: dive on your own schedule, healthy reefs, shore diving heaven
Dislikes: some entry/exits are challenging, I'm a weenie and get tired of carrying gear all week.
Stayed at: Buddy Dive
Go back?: yes, but may try different resort. While dive operation is excellent, I was disappointed that on my last visit that the property was as run down as it was.

5. Cayman Brac 2X
July 1999, Jan. 2013
Like: good dive operation and easy set up, reefs are good, Tibbets wreck
Dislike: I like, but like Little Cayman better
Stayed: Brac Reef Resort
Go back?: yes

6. Cozumel, 3X
1st time 1993, last time 1998
Like: drift diving...duh
Dislike: cruise ships
Stayed at: la Ceiba, but I think it is something else now.
Go back?: yes, but not sure where I'd stay

7. Grenada
August, 2011
Likes: incredibly beautiful island and friendly people, wreck diving
Dislikes: getting there is tricky (we flew to Barbados, then sketchy regional flight on Liat with no real issues)
Stayed at: True Blue Resort. It was lovely.
Go back? Yes, but more to visit island than diving

8. Roatan, 2X
1998 & 2001, July
Likes: good shore dive in front of resort, picturesque island
Dislikes: felt unsafe a couple of times, fellow divers got sick on both trips (food?)
Stayed at: Coco View
Go back? Probably not, but maybe at a different resort

9. Saba
July, 2001
Like: breath taking views, interesting island
Dislike: a pain to get from lodging to boat each day ( by van).
Stayed at: Juliana's/Sea Saba
Go back?: probably not

10. St. John, USVI
May, 2008
Dislikes: dive crew seemed uninterested in their jobs (maybe it was fluke, only dove 2 days)
Stayed at: a condo, dove with Low Key
Go back?: yes, but would snorkel instead from beautiful beach, then drink a cocktail. :)

Go back

Bill,

From that comprehensive list of Caribbean islands, sounds like you should be writing a book, not a post on ScubaBoard...! Great info for sure.

My only comment would be, and this is very general, I have always figured that the Mesoamerican Reef system that runs from North America down thru South America covering places like Belize, Mexico, and Honduras would tend to offer similar diving. Now I say that again in a very general sense. A spotted drum in Belize is going to be much the same as one on Coz as is one around Utila. A another example would be the spread and migration of lion fish in the Caribbean. There are of course exceptional dive sites.

It's a big ocean out there!

I would agree that Caribbean diving becomes redundant after some time. However, places you suggest are long way from US, and this may be a problem for working Americans, with their short vacations and busy schedules.

So I would suggest Hawaii, Sea of Cortez in Mexico (Cabo Pulmo etc), and Costa Rica, for starters. I just did 6 dives off Isla del Cano, which may not seem like too many, but I would not trade this for another 40-dives trip to Bonaire or Roatan. And Costa Rica has a lot too see besides diving.

Puerto Rico - I've been once - did shore diving along north and east sides, kind of bad experience with local dive shops - no one wanted to do boat trips out on the north or east side, though maybe you can find a better outfit.Not sure about southern wall diving.
out west I had better luck - desecheo island was a day trip but a wonderful dive. Clear water, loads of fish and color.
I used www.tainodivers.com if memory serves, which did a very nice trip. ran into a huge school of dolphin on way back to shore.

Bahama's - Went to Freeport bahama. Crappy hotel timeshare (Xanadu) in real bad shape, but overall diving was wonderful. Would recommend diving with Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger
Fred and melinda run a very eco friendly outfit and are very knowledgeable and make great dive company. Lots of reef shark and good coral formations. Night dive was cool had phosphors in water.

Aruba - i'd not go back unless you like to gamble waste of a dive trip.

St Lucia - good diving down south - north not as good. stay away from Frogs diving, run down outfit, borrowed sad boat and capt.

and if you like liveaboards, just got back from socorro islands on the roccio del mar - excellent dive, nice big boat, lots of big critters. Giant Manta, dolphin, whaleshark, Big Tuna, sharks (various types)

Hey sorry if this is old post just was browsing and thought i'd share.

Frank

April (2012) - ???
Would like similar info on the following places (i.e. how good the diving is, where to stay and when to go):
Puerto Rico mainland and islands (Vieques and Culebra )
British Virgin Island
Florida Keys
Bermuda
Bahamas
Isla de Providencia, Columbia

Thanks.

Bill[/QUOTE]

April (2012) - ???
Would like similar info on the following places (i.e. how good the diving is, where to stay and when to go):
Puerto Rico mainland and islands (Vieques and Culebra )
British Virgin Island
Florida Keys
Bermuda
Bahamas
Isla de Providencia, Columbia

Thanks.

Bill

I lived in the BVI for a little better than 35 years. Best way to see it as a visitor is from a charter boat and either renting your own gear and taking yourself diving, or if you are not quite so confident, arranging "rendez vous" pickups from one of the local dive stores (they all do it). If you cannot do a charter boat for one reason or another, I'd suggest staying on Virgin Gorda - nicer hotels than on the other islands.

BVI does have some very nice diving (not Little Cayman nice, but still pretty decent), but IMHO they tend to take the tourists to the "same old, same old" spots.

The only other places I have dived on your list are Culebra and Vieques. To be honest, they were "ok" by Caribbean standards, but not honestly all that.

Wookie, try CoCoview on the north side of the island. They have huge walls with great overhangs, much different from the south side of the island. Lots of fish as well, some very big and very friendly groupers and green morays. Best house reef anywhere, with two walls, a sunken freighter and a plane that you can dive till your hearts content even at night. And you're on a key so it's quiet and rustic.

Wookie, try CoCoview on the north side of the island. They have huge walls with great overhangs, much different from the south side of the island. Lots of fish as well, some very big and very friendly groupers and green morays. Best house reef anywhere, with two walls, a sunken freighter and a plane that you can dive till your hearts content even at night. And you're on a key so it's quiet and rustic.

Got news for you-----CoCoView is on the south side of the island.......ILR, AKR, BIBR & Sandy Bay are on the NORTH side of the island(ought to know after owning a house 2 miles east of AKR for 15 years)-------BTW---where is all the good diving is.......basically----ONLY place worth diving on the south side is Mary's Place.........

You do know CocoView is close to French Harbor...
roatan-map.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom