My Best/ Worst Dive places in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billmcentee

Registered
Reaction score
Here are my opinions of all Caribbean islands I’ve been to in the last 20 years. They are ranked by favorite to least favorite. If you need more info on a particular island let me know. Also, please share your experiences as well because we are always looking for new places to try. If you dove some of the places at the bottom, please let me know what you thought.

Disclaimer - My wife and I make at least 2 dive trips a year to the Caribbean. Our favorite type of dive vacation is as follows: 1. Quiet, safe island that aren’t overrun with cruise ships. 2. Friendly locals. 3. Fresh local food. 4. 2 to 3 dives a day. 5. Shore diving and a snorkeling a plus, but not mandatory. 6. Not into nightlife or heavy drinking scene (been there, down that) 7. Basic hotel amenities: all we require is a warm shower and clean sheets.

Typical day: Do a two tank dive in the morning with either afternoon dive or snorkel. Then grab a bucket of beer, read a book and take a nap in a hammock. Wake up, watch the sun go down and then walk to a nearby restaurant for some local food. Repeat the next day.

1. Bonaire Times Been: 3
Time went: Twice in February , once in January
Dislikes: Getting there, bit pricy, new cruise ship port is starting to have impact on reefs.
Stayed at: Divi Flamingo Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. Ocean front rooms, easy access to dive shop and great shore diving and snorkeling. Close to town. Food is good, but better in town. No WiFi in rooms.
Go back: Most definitely

2. Dominica Times Been: 2
Time went: May and November
Likes: Great boat diving. Lots of juvenile fish. Good shore diving from resort. Natural volcanic beach hot tubs to sit in between dives. Good island excursions.
Dislikes: Not as many big fish, they have been fished out. Fish are coming back now because they have set up no fishing areas. Also island is quite poor, but you still feel safe.
Stayed at: Caste Comfort Inn Resort 3 1/2 out of 5 stars Great bar on water. Great shore diving from hotel. Very tiny pool. Food is OK, but limited. Bare bones place. People are very nice at the resort and in dive shop.
Go Back: Most definitely

3. Roatan Times Been: 2
Time went: November, February
Likes: Lots of fish, good snorkeling, quiet Swam with whale sharks!
Dislikes: Not many restaurants to choose from hence the all inclusives.
Stayed at: Inn of Last Resort 4 out of 5 stars. Food included is quite good, but dinner is what they make, so if you don’t like the meal, you are out of luck. Awesome lagoon to snorkel and veg out at. Easy access to diving. No T.V. in rooms. Note- the Inn has been sold and is no longer open for divers. L If anyone know another place on Roatan to stay at, please let me know.

4. Little Cayman Times Been: 2
Time went: April and February
Dislikes: No shore diving. Can be expensive.
Stayed at Pirates Point 4 out of 5 stars. All inclusive. Great food. No TVs. The owner, Gladys, is a trip. People very nice.

5. Cozumel Times Been: 1
Time went: February
Dislikes: Strong current for shore diving. Island can get overwhelmed by cruise ships.
Stayed at: Scuba Club 3 out of 5 stars. Basic resort. Shore Diving from hotel is tough with strong current. Can be noisy. Food OK.
Go back: Probably

6. St. Croix Times Been: 1
Time went: November
Dislikes: Island is getting poorer and less safe. Not a lot of big fish because of over fishing.
Stayed at: Carambola Beach Resort 3 out of 5 stars. Great snorkeling from hotel. Very dark rooms, need to be brightened up. Staff is not very friendly. Food OK. Resort a bit out of the way.
Go Back: Probably

7. St Vincent
Likes: Easy Diving. Great muck diving on St. Vincent. Kay from Indigo Dive St. Vincent can find anything.
Dislikes: Is a working island, not set up for tourist. Food just OK
Stayed at: Mariners Hotel in St Vincent 2.5 out 5 stars. Basic hotel. Would stay someone else.
Go Back: Probably

8. St. Thomas Times Been: 1
Time went: May
Dislikes: Very noisy and busy island. Too many cruise ships.
Stayed at: Marriot 2 out of 5 stars. Hotel not near water and on busy street.
Go back: Maybe, would stay somewhere else

9: Costa Rica Times Been: 2
Time went: February and November
Dislikes: Poor diving. Cold water, poor visibility. Lots of fish, but hard to see.
Stayed at: Various places through Bill Beards Diving Adventures. Highly recommended outfit.
Go Back: Probably, but not for diving. Could spend a week just in Tabacon hot springs.

10. Bequia
Dislikes: Bequia is very small and too quiet. Food just OK. Suppose to take day cruise on Bequia aboard Friendship Rose. Booked everything in advance and when we came to take cruise, they told us they weren’t sailing that day and didn’t seem to care that no one informed us in advance. This is the attitude of people on Bequia.
Stayed at: Gingerbread Hotel in Bequia 2.5 out of 5 stars. Basic bed and breakfast.
Go Back: Probably not. I would try one of the other islands in the chain instead.

11. St Eustatius Times Been:1
Dislikes: Absolutely nothing to do on the island. No restaurants or other things to do.
Stayed at: Kings Well Resort. 2 out 5 stars. Place is getting old. Great food. Owners, Winne and Laura, are nice, but they no longer seem to be able to keep up with hotel management. Very safe island
Go Back: Not likely. Too quiet even for us.

12. Turks and Cacaos Times Been: 1
Dislikes: poor snorkeling, cold water for swimming in February, need to dive deep to get to reefs
Stayed at: Can’t remember, it was one of those all inclusive places. 3 out 5 stars. Food good, but very American.
Go Back: Maybe, but not in February when the water was cold

10. Tobago Times Been: 1
Dislikes: Getting in and out of dive boats was a challenge, poor visibility. Lack of dive resorts on water. Portuquese Man of War in water!
Stayed at: Toucan Inn 2 out of 5 stars. Not near water. Dark rooms. Food not so good. Rained a lot when we went.
Go Back: No

11. Saba Times Been: 1
Likes: OK diving. Lot of run off, so visibility not so good.
Dislikes: Cold island on mountain, no beaches, cold water. Constant wind, made you feel like you were not in Caribbean.
Go Back: No, too cold

12. St. Marteen Times Been: 2
Time went: January
Only dove it once as resort dive a long time ago.
Dislikes: Busy Island.
Go Back: Probably not, unless someone can convince me that the diving is really good.

13. Amerquis keys, Belize Times Been: 2
Time went: June and November
Likes: Great diving when you can do it, Great mainland excursions, very walk able island, good food
Dislikes: Rough seas for diving. Both times had storms that made diving impossible on most days. No shore diving.
Go back: Probably not. Can’t guarantee diving will be worth it with weather.

14. Grand Cayman Times Been: 2
Time went: November, January
Dislikes: Cattle call diving from cruise ships. Island to busy and noisy.
Go back: Not likely. Rather fly to nearby Little Cayman

15. Utila
Time went: November
Dislikes: Reefs in good shape, but no fish as the fish had all been fished out.
Stayed at: Laguna Beach Resort 3 out of 5 stars. Good food. Nice people. OK accommodations. Not much to do on the resort.
Go back: Not likely. Rather go back to Roatan.

16. Barbados Times Been: 2 only 1 time diving
Likes: Body surfing on beaches. Good food. Jolly Roger Pirate Ship tour.
Dislikes: Lack of quality dive shops. We did not finish all our dives for the week because it did not feel like it was worth it and we did not like dive shop.
Stayed at: Can’t remember name. 2 out 5 stars. Not the best beach near hotel and was on a busy street.
Go Back: Not likely.

17. St John Times Been: 2 Did not dive there
Dislikes: Expensive to stay on island.
Go Back: Maybe. Is diving worth it? Snorkeling is great, but don’t hear much about diving.
Stayed at: Only made day trips to the island.

18. Antigulla Times Been: 1 Did not dive there, just snorkeled.
Time went: April
Dislikes: Too Americanized. Snorkeling not great.
Place stayed at: Can’t remember. Was one of those all inclusive places.
Go Back: Not likely unless someone can convince me diving is good.

19. Monseratt Times Been: 1
Time went: April
Dislikes: Poor diving. We thought diving would be great after Volcano erupted 10 years ago and everyone left, so fish would be abundant. Volcano keeps erupting and ash all over reefs. Government has taught misplaced farmers to fish with large nets and cages all over island. Not much fish left.
Place stayed at: Gingerbread Hill 3.5 out 5 stars. Nice apartment run by nice family.
Go Back: No.

20. Jamaica Times Been: 2 Never dove there, would not trust dive shops.
Time went: January, November
Dislikes: Very unsafe island. Very mean and scary people who live on it. Constant harassment by locals. You could not walk around or leave resort.
Stayed at: Rock House. 3/12 out 5. Great snorkeling.
Go back: Absolutely not. Only time we ever cut our trip short while on vacation.

Upcoming trips: St. Lucia ( Feb 2012)

April (2012) - ???
Would like similar info on the following places (i.e. how good the diving is, where to stay and when to go):
Puerto Rico mainland and islands (Vieques and Culebra )
British Virgin Island
Florida Keys
Bermuda
Bahamas
Isla de Providencia, Columbia

Thanks.

Bill

You don't seem like liveaboard peeps, so I won't tell you about our Mona island trip in April....

I've been to Provedencia in April and it was lovely. I took my liveaboard there, and stayed on it, so I can't tell you about the accommodations, but the island is fantastic, not at all over fished, and the local foods are what island dreams are made of. My friend Felipepe runs Felipe's Diving there, and he can help you out with your logistical needs.

I live in the Florida Keys. I don't dive here in April if I can help it. The wind blows that time of year. Not that I don't love the keys, and think it's a great destination. It's just that the wind blows in April. All of April.

Can't tell you about BVI, Bermuda or Bahamas. Haven't been there in April. Have you thought at all about Grenada? Great diving there, I recently stayed at True Blue Bay Resort and had a great week. I's call the resort 4 out of 5, although I don't know what they could have done better, nothing is perfect. Food was delicious and the resort dive shop (Aquanauts Grenada) was very professional and accommodating.

Thanks, Bill. Interesting to read through - you are very fortunate to have travelled so broadly in the region! That is probably the same sort of order I would have sorted them into (not having been to all of them myself), but I was a bit surprised at the comparatively low rankings for Turks & Caicos and for Saba. Maybe just a case of good days and bad days.

Wasn't sure for #18 if you meant Anguilla or Antigua, but I think the diving is pretty average on both islands.

I expect you'll enjoy St Lucia. I think the diving is pretty good there, and well set up for tourists.

On your "to do" list, Bermuda has lovely diving, but it is surprisingly cold. I have not dived in Vieques or Culebra for years, but I remember thinking it was a bit so-so. The Caribbean is packed with other diving options, but some other ones you may wish to consider are: Dominican Republic (diving is so-so, but dirt cheap and fun place to visit) and Grenada (one of the Caribbean's signature dives - the Bianca C). Cuba also has some amazing diving, but tough for US passport holders.

Good diving!

I noticed you listed Turks & Caicos, I'm going to assume you went to Providenciales. I would suggest Grand Turk. Quiet, laid back, excellent wall diving 5 minutes from shore. I always feel like I've been on VACATION when I go there.

Bermuda is alright...Nothing to write home about if you ask me. The island is nice, beaches are beautiful. EVERYTHING is expensive! I didn't enjoy the diving there, it may be that the operator we went with was crap and didn't even bother to find the wreck. Told us it was fine if we didn't find it. WTF?? There isn't anything else to see at 100' if you don't find the wreck...If you go, avoid Blue Water Divers at Somerset Bridge. IJS

I've been to Provedencia in April and it was lovely. I took my liveaboard there, and stayed on it, so I can't tell you about the accommodations, but the island is fantastic, not at all over fished, and the local foods are what island dreams are made of. My friend Felipepe runs Felipe's Diving there, and he can help you out with your logistical needs.
Any idea where you would fly into for this??? My interest has been piqued!! :)

Any idea where you would fly into for this??? My interest has been piqued!! :)

I went by boat last time, but you can fly to San Jose, Costa Rica and from there to San Andres, Colombia. A puddle jumper completes the flight. Alternatively, if you want to see any of mainland Colombia (they are insulted if you consider Colombia dangerous, it has the friendliest folks I've ever met in South America), fly to Bogata or Cartagena, then to San Andres, then to Provedencia.

Grenada looks interesting. The only problem is that I looked at flights to get there from Boston and it seems like we would be doing a long lay over in New York and then a red eye to get there and back, but if the diving is worth it, we are there. Is the end of April a good time to go? We originaly were going to do the Jazz and Blues festival in New Orleans that week again, but I've been able to convince my wife that we need to do another dive trip instead. What is the diving like? If it is just looking at sunken ships under water, then I think we will pass. I see enough of them above water. Unless the ships are covered by coral and fish, then I'm interested. How does Grenada rank as compared to Roatan, which is our other choice?
Thanks for replying.

Bill

Grenada looks interesting. The only problem is that I looked at flights to get there from Boston and it seems like we would be doing a long lay over in New York and then a red eye to get there and back, but if the diving is worth it, we are there. Is the end of April a good time to go? We originaly were going to do the Jazz and Blues festival in New Orleans that week again, but I've been able to convince my wife that we need to do another dive trip instead. What is the diving like? If it is just looking at sunken ships under water, then I think we will pass. I see enough of them above water. Unless the ships are covered by coral and fish, then I'm interested. How does Grenada rank as compared to Roatan, which is our other choice?
Thanks for replying.

Bill

Best way to get there from Boston would probably be to catch the direct American flight from Boston to San Juan, and connect to the American Eagle flight to Grenada (American can ticket you all the way through). Not sure about the layovers though.

I have never dived Grenada myself, but lots of my friends in the Caribbean have, and I think it ticks a lot of the boxes on your list.

Thanks for replying.

Bill

I'm not a big fan of Roatan because of the lack of fish. And, I can't honestly say how the diving is in April because I was there in November. However. I don't like wrecks near as much as I like reefs, but the wrecks there are good. Lots of life on them, both fish and corals/whips. I loved the reefs, and, while everyone else was doing their third dive on the Bianca C (been there, dove that), they dropped us off on the reef with guide. I really liked the reefs. The fish were not big big like you see in the keys and Flower Gardens, but were respectable, and some of the schooling fish were presented in massive schools. The lack of fish does not appear to be overfishing, but it's just the way the reefs are made there, there aren't huge boulder corals of significant drop offs, they are just reefs. Did I mention I liked the reefs? I did not like the marine park, I found the underwater sculptures unsettling, but the reefs were really nice. So were the wrecks, and I don't really like wrecks.

I caught the non-stop out of Miami on American which left quite late in the afternoon on Sunday and returned early in the morning Monday. I can't imagine you couldn't fly American (Bleeech!) BOS-MIA-Grenada return all in one day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom