My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another version of this might be:
When you are only "good enough" under easy perfect conditions, what do you look like when the dive is going massively sideways? When trim goes to hell, silt comes up, perceptions get super narrow, problems don't get solved etc etc.
What you look like day to day is only a hint of your stressed performance which really should be the threshold.
^^this^^
all the training and muscle memory -all the fine tuning of tank bands and hose positions, clips and cord lengths is all preparing you for the day it goes all goes wrong

My instructor said nearly everyone needs some sort of remedial work when first starting AN/DP.

Good enough works for me. I don’t have the obsession with needs to be perfect. This gets me to see fabulous deeper wrecks, not to model perfect trim, etc. I’m into practical, not pretty. If it works, that’s good enough for me.
I was about to post a video of my last attempt of doing a valve drill in flat trim but I somehow lost the video.

All in all, I probably dodged a bullet by not embarrassing myself publicly :p

I was about to post a video of my last attempt of doing a valve drill in flat trim but I somehow lost the video.

All in all, I probably dodged a bullet by not embarrassing myself publicly :p

Ha! Before I got the neck ring removed, my valve drills would probably best be described as “wrestling with the devil.”’ :D

Ha! Before I got the neck ring removed, my valve drills would probably best be described as “wrestling with the devil.”’ :D
Yeah, those older replaceable neck seal rings were really restrictive. For someone of your size I'm impressed that you were able to reach your valves with them.

Yeah, those older replaceable neck seal rings were really restrictive. For someone of your size I'm impressed that you were able to reach your valves with them.

Had to loosen my belt. That was the only way. It was still a major struggle. I still have to loosen my belt, but reaching the valves is 1000 times easier without the neck ring.

I couldn’t tell if you were asking if ITT was required before AN/DP or if valve drill was required for ITT.
Bluetrin is a genuine person, not a wind up merchant.

I struggled, to be polite, with shutdowns doing ITT. I still got a card. I was told shutdowns were not a prerequisite for entry to ANDP but it was a requirement to finish ANDP.

Out to Gilboa Quarry next Sunday for dives with a friend from OH. 11 hours round trip for 2 dives, but I want to get in the water something awful!

EDIT: worked my schedule so I can go Saturday, too! :D

How much helium do you guys put in the mix before going to an inflator bottle? Is there a threshold where you actually start noticing a difference?

I understand helium is a poor insulator and air is cheaper to use than the minimum amount of back gas with trimix.

How much helium do you guys put in the mix before going to an inflator bottle? Is there a threshold where you actually start noticing a difference?

I understand helium is a poor insulator and air is cheaper to use than the minimum amount of back gas with trimix.
I wouldn't bother using helium unless it was 25% or more in backgas.
25%+ is too much for suit gas. It has nothing to do with price, you will freeze rapidly in a drysuit inflated with trimix. Once you are don't vasoconstricting like crazy you'll probably be bent.

I wouldn't bother using helium unless it was 25% or more in backgas.
25%+ is too much for suit gas. It has nothing to do with price, you will freeze rapidly in a drysuit inflated with trimix. Once you are don't vasoconstricting like crazy you'll probably be bent.

Just curious, I ended up doing my helitrox course (I didn't have an inflator bottle), but with only 20% helium in the mix. I didn't feel cold, and I didnt notice any difference in clarity at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom