My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The working portion of a dive is not necessarily the bottom part. I've done several dives where the deco portion is much more physically demanding than the bottom portion.
Example: Empress or Ireland -> no current on the wreck at depth but 2.5 to 3 knot current above 50 feet. Drift deco here would be a VERY bad idea as fog is common and the boat would never see your SMB. So you have to come up the line.

I did a dive with significant deco on a line in a 2+knot current. Once. It sucked BIG time. I was sure I was going to get bent about half way though the deco. The ladder to get back on board also ended up going inverted (so ladder should be angled this way / but ended up doing this \ ) once we stood on it, so I got to do 20 pullups on the way out for good measure! I was certain I was getting bent then. Dumped my gear on the deck, yelled for my deco bottle and laid down breathing O2 until it was gone. I think the only reason I ended up fine was I was on CCR and my buddy was on OC so I did about 15 minutes of extra deco at 20'. It also took us a good 30 minutes to pass up our gear due to the current, so that was all surface deco effectively, but I was working my butt off the whole time. It was stupid.

I recommend drifting.

There are a number of people here who would likely love nothing more than to see me fail. They’d probably be even happier if I was to just totally give up diving. So this whole thread is a big middle finger in their direction. I’m very stubborn and very determined.

Tell me I can’t do something and I’m going to prove you wrong.

M...

Just as long as you don't add...''or die trying''...to your statement...

Way back in grade school...I had a friend whose father was an alcoholic...he was known to his friends as ''Boots''...Boots used to comically say...I know my limit...but I pass out before I reach it...you won't find your limit in a pool...regardless of mix or gear or course material...just make sure you don't find that you've surpassed your limit at the bottom of the Great Lakes...

As has already been stated...you have nothing to prove...to anyone or yourself...this is after-all only scuba diving...

Wishing you the best...

W.M...

Dive plans finished and submitted to instructor. 21/25 and 50%. It’s the most common deco gas used by the folks I’ll be diving with.

Have these coming. My handwriting is a mess and these will keep things neat. I know of others who’ve made their own that are similar.

Decompression Dive Planning Decals | Dive Gear Express®

I saw that Marie13 is going to dive with 21/25 mix and was verumy surprised that she will dibe with 25% helium as TDI Hekitrox limit was 20%. I even checke my TDI Helitrox card which allows me to use up to 20% helium..... then i checked official TDI site and it seems that now Helitrox cett allows to use up to 35% helium in a mix.

Can someone comment when TDI stabdards changed.... or maybe there is incorrwct number on my cert. :)

I saw that Marie13 is going to dive with 21/25 mix and was verumy surprised that she will dibe with 25% helium as TDI Hekitrox limit was 20%. I even checke my TDI Helitrox card which allows me to use up to 20% helium..... then i checked official TDI site and it seems that now Helitrox cett allows to use up to 35% helium in a mix.

Can someone comment when TDI stabdards changed.... or maybe there is incorrwct number on my cert. :)

Standards changed for 2020 from 20% max helium to 35% max. Depth is still 150ft.

as Marie said, the standards were changed in 2020 and I think it was a very wise choice. My cave ccr crossover included a tdi headquarters instructor and we talked about it a little bit and tdi’s reasonings was very well thought out. I was never a huge tdi fan but after spending time with the headquarters instructor I was more impressed by tdi than ever before.
You can contact headquarters via the website and they can get u a new card with the new allowances printed on it.

It’s another holy crap day. Getting rid of that neck ring did the trick. The difference is unbelievable. I overweighted myself, became one with the bottom of the shallow end, and had at it. Still have to loosen my belt and go head down a bit to shift tanks, but it’s so much easier to reach.

Did 4-5 valve drills and then went onto other things.

Frog kick was much improved and consistent. Back kick was OK.

Next month’s pool session will be valve drill while neutral. The deep end was way too busy for that today.

It’s another holy crap day. Getting rid of that neck ring did the trick. The difference is unbelievable. I overweighted myself, became one with the bottom of the shallow end, and had at it. Still have to loosen my belt and go head down a bit to shift tanks, but it’s so much easier to reach.

Did 4-5 valve drills and then went onto other things.

Frog kick was much improved and consistent. Back kick was OK.

Next month’s pool session will be valve drill while neutral. The deep end was way too busy for that today.
Is Wazee the final training dives or the Hume?

Is Wazee the final training dives or the Hume?

Weekend or two out at Haigh first.

Wazee for class deco dives. No Hume dives for class. I’d be way too distracted by the wreck. :D

It’s another holy crap day. Getting rid of that neck ring did the trick. The difference is unbelievable. I overweighted myself, became one with the bottom of the shallow end, and had at it.Still have to loosen my belt and go head down a bit to shift tanks, but it’s so much easier to reach.
Very nice! Amazing what some added flexibility will do for you.

Have you tried pulling on the shoulder straps to move the cylinders forward instead of going head down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom