Must do dives in SD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the goat

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all,
Not sure if this has been asked before but here goes..
Are there any "must do" dives to do around San Diego?
I will be spending a week there in August and as time is short and family commitments high will probably only manage a couple of days diving.
In various searches Ive done , the Kelp beds have come up time and time again as has The Coronados, Wreck Alley and others.
So , as asked if time was short which dives would you have to do ?
Boat operators you recommend would also be welcomed.
Many thanks
Lee

Hi Lee,

I haven't been to The Coronados yet so I can't give you my input on them.

What are you interested in diving? Do you want to do a boat or beach dive?

I enjoy night dives at La Jolla Shores (beach), day dives at La Jolla Cove (beach) looking for giant sea bass and soupfin sharks, and dives on the Wrecks (boat). I'm not a San Diego resident (live about 60 miles away) so I don't dive up there as often as possible.

If you have a free day you could drive up to Long Beach (about 100 miles) from San Diego and go out on charter to Catalina Island.

When I go to Wreck Alley, I usually go on the Lois Ann (LoisAnn.com).

By the way, welcome to ScubaBoard. :admingreet:

Thanks Ann-Marie
I ll be in LA for the previous 3 days but, unfortunately, I won t be diving as the theme parks are a calling.
As for the diving , I d do pretty much whatever was recommended.Got my eyes on a couple of day boats that ll do The Coronados and theres a trip to Mexican waters which seems attractive.
The Lois Ann has come up a few times and looks a mighty fine boat.
As before all recommendations will be much appreciated.
Not sure whether to bring my own gear just yet as the airlines meagre allowance may restict so any charters that also rent suits/regs etc. would be a bonus!
Thanks

I second the thoughts on Marissa and her crew ... wreck alley is only a few minutes off shore, the hulking 366' Yukon , and along with the RubyE looking like a "parade float" , it will be a great memory
Coronado Islands is a great dive too, Kelp, Sea Lions, interesting topography ... an hour+ out of San Diego

You can go to Dana Point about a half hour north of SD to hop the ferry to Catalina, it is a great place to visit, and a great dive, the dive park is an easy "down the stairs" entrance, and has many places of interest with kelp and wrecks .. and you can charter a boat at Scuba Luv for some awsome local diving like Ship Rock and you will probably share the boat with DrBill :) ... http://www.scubaluv.biz/

Hey Divinman!

It's been a long time! How are you doing? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to say hi! I'm diving the wrecks and kelp beds this morning! Woohoo!

Thanks to both you and DB about the infor on Marissa. Haven't heard of this boat before now. (Well, I don't get south too often!)

goat,

If you post the days you are going to be here and what you are planning to do if someone if free to dive; perhaps you can hook up!

Thanks guys
The Marissa looks a lovely boat and I ll make further enquiries.
I ll be in San Diego for a week from August 3rd so could conceivably make 2 days diving.Looking on Marissas site schedule that week I have the options of Wreck Alley(3 dives) on a couple of days and a morning diving the kelp forests so it looks promising.
Still not sure what suit to bring as I have a 5mm one which I use over here when the water temps reach 60 in the height of summer.Anything else cuts into the weight allowance and as it isn t a dedicated diving trip I can t justify sticking my drysuit into my daughters holdall.
Is there an outlet nearby where I could rent a suit?
Thanks again, more questions to follow no doubt:D
Lee

Divebums has a comprehensive list of shops/boats.

Check out the links page as well as the 'visiting' page for lots of good information.

Thanks guys
The Marissa looks a lovely boat and I ll make further enquiries.
I ll be in San Diego for a week from August 3rd so could conceivably make 2 days diving.Looking on Marissas site schedule that week I have the options of Wreck Alley(3 dives) on a couple of days and a morning diving the kelp forests so it looks promising.
Still not sure what suit to bring as I have a 5mm one which I use over here when the water temps reach 60 in the height of summer.Anything else cuts into the weight allowance and as it isn t a dedicated diving trip I can t justify sticking my drysuit into my daughters holdall.
Is there an outlet nearby where I could rent a suit?
Thanks again, more questions to follow no doubt:D
Lee

Hi Goat,

I dive in Monterey in a Dry Suit in 46-50 degree water. I've been done in SO CAL this week and the temps are in the HIGH 60s and lows 70s, which is a bit warmer than usual. I am majorly overheating out there. My 7 mm is working just fine. I've skipped my hooded vest, and am just wearing my 7 mm hood, which is still too warm. Bring your 5 mm, and if you have a hooded vest which is 5 mm, you should be fine. If you dive the Yukon, it is deeper, so you might get chilly on that, but you will likely warm up just fine between dives. There are lots of shops which you can rent stuff. While I usually like to pay homage to small dive shops, Sports Chalet (big corporate chain - uggg) does have a nice rental deal, you can rent your gear for one day, but you don't pay for the day you pick it up nor the day you return it. SO you can get 3 days rental if you time everything right. Most of them are open until 9 am, so you can go on a day boat and return the gear that night.

As you get closer to deciding when you will be here, post your schedule, I am sure someone will jopin you from the local group.

Back
Top Bottom