Music While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morg59

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone ever listen to headphones or anything while diving? I think it would be really cool to have something like darkside of the moon going while diving. What do you think?

As cool of a thought you wouldn't be able to equalize with ear buds in. If you had a full face mask you could possibly buy/create something that plays through a speaker. OR headphones that didn't block your ears.

But I had the same thought, I think it would be really cool to have music playing while diving, however my last dive their were whales making noises in the distance so I am glad that I didn't have music then because it was beautiful hearing them interact while not even being able to see them.

Last edited:
I seem to recall that there were waterproof headphones on the market at some point but I don't know if they're still available.

I know some people that listen to music while on deco, but most of them don't listen during the actual dive. For myself, I'm usually too busy checking out the site or concentrating on collecting dinner to pay attention to music.

I was diving in Hawaii once when the boat captain lowered a speaker into the water and played music. It was the most annoying dive I've even been on. I had to swim around the point to get away from the music. I prefer to get away from any topside distractions while diving.

I can't really imagine anything much worse! The sound of parrotfish chomping, whales and dolphins calling, drums grunting, boats overhead while ascending, a recall signal. and my buddy shouting for me....why would I want to obscure all that? It also seems kind of harmful to dive safety.

I was diving in Hawaii once when the boat captain lowered a speaker into the water and played music. It was the most annoying dive I've even been on. I had to swim around the point to get away from the music. I prefer to get away from any topside distractions while diving.

My feelings exactly. Mermet Springs, a quarry in southern Illinois, pipes in underwater music. I prefer to have it quiet where I can focus on my diving.

I didn't spend all that money on a rebreather so that I could hear "Ted Nugent" more clearly underwater. What's the point ? Enjoy your dive, and "listen for boats passing overhead".

Last edited:
There was a similar thread years ago on this but asking what sort of (waterproof) devices are on the market (as opposed to your question asking for opinions on doing it). Nevertheless, lots of criticism on that old thread as well. I suppose it could be a bit of a safety hazard--something may be leaking from your gear (BCD for one, as I once had a small hole appear--but it was another diver who pointed it out as it wasn't visible and I heard nothing). And of course overhead boats. My diving at home in NS has pretty much been void of anything to hear, but I wouldn't consider listening to music as I am concentrating on my collecting (and I'm a musician). But to each his own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom