Municipal Divers? Not here....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may have to do with closure for the families to trully know where their loved ones are burried.

And the issue declaring someone dead with no body. Also potential crime scene and in some waterways the hygiene issue. Plus its not good for PR if tourists keep seeing old bloated half eaten bodies floating up and washed onto beaches.

Plus its not good for PR if tourists keep seeing old bloated half eaten bodies floating up and washed onto beaches.
Well, I can see collecting the floaters, sure. I was talking about going through a lot of effort (and tax payer expense) to go looking for the under the surface.

I've never understood why they look for bodies anyway.

........................ :shakehead:

Well, I can see collecting the floaters, sure. I was talking about going through a lot of effort (and tax payer expense) to go looking for the under the surface.

Because time is of the essence. The longer you wait for a floater the more likely key evidence may be washed away. Besides that there are documented cases though in the extreme cold (As it appears this was) that the cold water actually made it possible to be revived hours after the incident.

I could only imagine the response when you call and say your wife may have commited suicide by drowning herself and you are told "Lets wait and see if she floats up. If she is there she will come up sooner or later" All the while in the mean time she was abducted.

Tax payers pay alot of money for hoaxes yes but when its your loved on on the line the life has no amount of money that can come close to that of the potential loss.

I could only imagine the response when you call and say your wife may have commited suicide by drowning herself and you are told "Lets wait and see if she floats up. If she is there she will come up sooner or later" All the while in the mean time she was abducted.
I really don't follow this example at all......but OK.

But I know this - if I take a header off a bridge and into the water below - as far as I am concerned, people are welcome to leave my body to the fishes.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged and moved to Public Safety Divers.

Tell that to your family. They are the ones that stare at us from shore to bring their family member home.
I told my wife. I also told her that under no circumstances should anyone ever perform CPR on me, put a breathing tube down my throat, or hook me up to any kind of AED or life support equipment. She said OK.

I told my wife. I also told her that under no circumstances should anyone ever perform CPR on me, put a breathing tube down my throat, or hook me up to any kind of AED or life support equipment. She said OK.

Some people make full recoveries from things requiring life support, CPR, breathing tubes, and AEDs... I am curious as to why you would not want any of these?

Some people make full recoveries from things requiring life support, CPR, breathing tubes, and AEDs... I am curious as to why you would not want any of these?
Sometimes they do. Many other times, one winds up with brain damage and spends the rest of his/her life as a useless pile of flesh, incapable of living life as they have always known it, while being a financial and emotional burden on their loved ones. That's not a risk that I would like to take - hence the medic alert necklace I wear.

Back
Top Bottom