Multiple deaths diving off NC coast May 10, 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Qminus
I am the admin at Graveyard Hunters that made the original post on Sunday as the news came over the VHF.
It was requested that the post be removed until the official investigation could be done and we complied with the request.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just read most of the Grave Yard Hunters posts in doing so I suspect I accidentally joined your group.

As far as can be determined as gleaned from the many posts the Grave Yard Hunters (GYH) is a lose knit group of consumptive hunters and scavengers, with absolutely no official title or position with the state and local government .

Therefore.all future disclosures of the dual falitalies will be generated and disclosed via official channels of the governing organizations and or via press releases.

Should my assumptions be incorrect please fee free to make corrections

SDM 111

That is correct. We are not any government agency or affiliated with any dive shop. Just a group of local divers who enjoy the sport. Our only "official title" with the state is that of a nonprofit corporation.

I've seen people ascend the anchorline, get back on the boat, start taking off their gear and talking about how great the dive was and then all of a sudden realizing they are looking at a bunch of unfamiliar faces. Then it dawns on them that they ascended the wrong anchor line and are now on the wrong boat. That surface swim of shame back sucks.

Not in NC, but I've definitely done that. Hanging at the safety stop thinking "wow, this boat looks a lot bigger from underneath! " and "I thought the ladder was on the other side..." while simultaneously realizing that you're hanging with a couple of rebreather divers, and nobody on your boat had a rebreather. A good one-liner as you climb the ladder (such as "Greetings from (name of your dive boat)" or "Take me to your leader") seems to help.

Not in NC, but I've definitely done that. Hanging at the safety stop thinking "wow, this boat looks a lot bigger from underneath! " and "I thought the ladder was on the other side..." while simultaneously realizing that you're hanging with a couple of rebreather divers, and nobody on your boat had a rebreather. A good one-liner as you climb the ladder (such as "Greetings from (name of your dive boat)" or "Take me to your leader") seems to help.

Once in my very short and completely undistinguished hockey career, I got totally rocked into the boards and staggered over to the bench to gather my wits. I sat there for a couple minutes before I realized I was sitting with the wrong team. It's not often one gets to provide so many people so much amusement with so little effort.

If you haven't made a mistake underwater you haven't spent much time underwater. Plus none of our stories would be any good if everything always went according to plan.

I’ve never had a dive with more than one boat moored on a wreck at once! I‘ve has a few dives when another boat was waiting for us to finish or vice versa.

I’ve never had a dive with more than one boat moored on a wreck at once! I‘ve has a few dives when another boat was waiting for us to finish or vice versa.

Can be common here in NC. We've been out to find two other boats already on a wreck. Especially the usual wrecks that Discovery and Olympus dive regularly. It'd be kind of rare with both of them running daily to go to the Indra or Tugs or 352 and not find one of them already there during the summer season.

I came up the anchor line last year. Did my safety stop, then proceeded on up. When I broke the surface there was some strange guy looking over the bow at me and I noticed the boat was yellow instead of white. They were nice enough to give me a ride over to our boat about 100 feet away.

We were already on the tugs last year one day and another boat pulled up and made several attempt to hook but couldn't because the tug is kinda small. They asked if they could just tie up to us instead.

You've never dove any of the big wrecks in the Keys. Lol.

Nothing like coming up doubles, deco bottles and a scooter onto the wrong boat...

Or so I've heard...

Can be common here in NC. We've been out to find two other boats already on a wreck. Especially the usual wrecks that Discovery and Olympus dive regularly. It'd be kind of rare with both of them running daily to go to the Indra or Tugs or 352 and not find one of them already there during the summer season.

I came up the anchor line last year. Did my safety stop, then proceeded on up. When I broke the surface there was some strange guy looking over the bow at me and I noticed the boat was yellow instead of white. They were nice enough to give me a ride over to our boat about 100 feet away.

We were already on the tugs last year one day and another boat pulled up and made several attempt to hook but couldn't because the tug is kinda small. They asked if they could just tie up to us instead.

You've never dove any of the big wrecks in the Keys. Lol.

Nothing like coming up doubles, deco bottles and a scooter onto the wrong boat...

Or so I've heard...
Sorry, do you not pay any attention to where your line is tied into the wreck? There are 8 moorings on the Spiegel Grove, they are very easy to keep track of.

Sorry, do you not pay any attention to where your line is tied into the wreck? There are 8 moorings on the Spiegel Grove, they are very easy to keep track of.
My friend may or may not have forgotten which side of the wreck they went down on...

I usually cheat by snapping a big arse strobe on the top of the chain when I get to the bottom. Then at least if I come up the wrong line I have plenty of time to work up a good story on my way up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom