Multiple Computer Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree this is why I think it’s better to hide one behind the other in the UI.

Add something like a small headline “<computer 2> log” where you can access/unfold the second log if you click/select.

Assuming the computer has an id and it is included in the log. Here's what subsurface has for my leo: <divecomputer model='Cressi Leonardo' diveid='7fffffff'>, and here's what it has for my wife's: <divecomputer model='Cressi Leonardo' diveid='60bc2d5a'> (diveids are dive ids, different for every dive).

If yours does send a unique id and the software keeps it, then it should be easy enough to add a UI checkbox to only show logs from selected device. However it doesn't seem to be always the case.

Just comparing start time, end time, max depth, average depth, you can easily figure out if you are looking at the same dive or not.

"Computers make very fast very accurate misteaks". Without NTP time sync, you can safely assume your two computers' clocks will not match to the computer's satisfaction. You can easily figure it out, which is why I said: a piece of external knowledge known as "the diver".

I usually only download from one, but sometimes I download from both.

I don't care if the dive numbers in the individual computer logs are the same. I have no use for those numbers and never look at them anyway. I have multiple computers and use different ones for different things. It makes no sense (for me, anyway) to pay any attention to the dive numbers in the individual dive computers' logs.

What IS important is that all my dive computers are set to the same date/time. I try to keep mine within 1 minute or so of each other, but within probably 5 minutes is really fine.

I only use Subsurface for my log.

When I download from multiple computers, Subsurface automatically merges dives that start at the same time (within a couple of minutes or so - I don't remember the exact criteria). Thus, even if I used 3 computers and downloaded from them all, it still only shows as one dive in my dive log (in Subsurface).

When I view any given dive, it shows me the actual profile from one of the computers. If I want to see the profile from a different computer from the same dive, I can use the right/left arrow keys to scroll through which computer's dive profile is displayed. It says down in the corner of the displayed dive profile which computer it's from.

I'm not SURE which computer's profile it shows by default. I'm guessing it's whichever computer I downloaded from first. But, I really don't care. The differences in them are very small, so it does not generally matter to me which one is displayed.

A reason why I might particularly want to download from 2 computers for the same dive is when I'm diving my rEvo. I download from the controller, so my log shows me the pO2 Setpoint and the sensor readings from all the cells on the controller. I also download from my monitor (a NERD2), which brings in the AI data that shows me what my Dil and O2 cylinder pressures were during the dive.

Also, sometimes I dive with a Teric when I'm on CCR, as a standalone backup. Then, I only use my Terics when I'm diving OC. So, when I download my OC dives from my Teric, it also brings in any CCR dives that I did where I took the Teric along. When that happens, as I said, Subsurface automatically merges the Teric data from the CCR dives into the CCR dives that I already downloaded from my Predator (controller) and maybe also my NERD2.

"Computers make very fast very accurate misteaks". Without NTP time sync, you can safely assume your two computers' clocks will not match to the computer's satisfaction. You can easily figure it out, which is why I said: a piece of external knowledge known as "the diver".

Balderdash. Subsurface (at least) is coded to know that different clocks are never going to be synced exactly. So, it is smart enough to recognize when dives are close enough in start time to conclude that they are the same dive.

And if you forget to update one of your dive computer's clock and you do a dive with mis-matched times on your dive computers, when you load them into Subsurface, it will load them as two separate dives. But, when that happens you can manually choose them both in Subsurface, right-click, and choose Merge. For the case that you, the diver, fed bad data into Subsurface by not setting your timepieces correctly... (you can also manually edit the date/time of a dive in Subsurface to set it to be correct)

Think I was an early adapter. I have a 15 year old galileo terra and a 20 euro tec 2g (second hand) as a back-up.
Always had a watch and gauge as back-up, which I never used. For 20 euro the tec2g was a no-brainer. Mostly used in Gauge mode.
Overkill for a recreational diver, but nearing end of battery life it saved me a few times to have a back-up.
Looking for a new set-up.

Maybe I am the wierdo but I don't think I can even remember the last time I downloaded dives off my computers and I can't say any of my dive buddies ever do this either. Only time we ever connect to a computer is just to do Shearwater updates. I have 3 rebreathers all with Petrels and one of them has 2 Petrels hardwired in, plus I have 2 Perdix's for OC diving. So that is 6 shearwaters that get dived regularly to keep track of.

I know for teaching its nice to show students there profile, PPO2 especially if there doing a manual fight drill etc. But just out of curiosity for regular fun diving what do people do with there "synced" computers data? did not even realize this was such a big deal. But that is what I love about this forum, learn something new everyday and nice to see what other divers are doing around the world.

Maybe I am the wierdo but I don't think I can even remember the last time I downloaded dives off my computers and I can't say any of my dive buddies ever do this either. Only time we ever connect to a computer is just to do Shearwater updates. I have 3 rebreathers all with Petrels and one of them has 2 Petrels hardwired in, plus I have 2 Perdix's for OC diving. So that is 6 shearwaters that get dived regularly to keep track of.

I know for teaching its nice to show students there profile, PPO2 especially if there doing a manual fight drill etc. But just out of curiosity for regular fun diving what do people do with there "synced" computers data? did not even realize this was such a big deal. But that is what I love about this forum, learn something new everyday and nice to see what other divers are doing around the world.

I download every dive and manually enter notes.

I use it to refer back to for "what temp is the water there at X time of year" and "how much weight did I use in this config" and "how many dives did I put on that suit before it crapped out" and etc kinds of questions.

I download every dive and manually enter notes.

I use it to refer back to for "what temp is the water there at X time of year" and "how much weight did I use in this config" and "how many dives did I put on that suit before it crapped out" and etc kinds of questions.
Oh good, it's not just me. My wife and I joke that until the dive is in the electronic logbook, it didn't really happen.

I dive a petrel 2 and perdix together on rec and tec dives. And the perdix as a stand alone when I am on ccr which has a shearwater handset. I download all 3 every couple months and submit the perdix dives to my DSO. The computer screens are all setup pretty similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom