Multi Gas Computers...worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't trust ratio deco because it isn't a mathematical model of a physical system (such as ZHL-16, VPM-B or RGBM) but rather something that is supposed to model the model of the system (e.g. here's a trick to generate the same plans as v-planner as opposed to here's a trick to model the activity of dissolved gasses in the body). We have two levels of compounding inaccuracy now, the inaccuracy of the model vs the body and the innaccuracy of the approximation of the model of the body. I suppose it's a good tool to have in the bag but I wouldn't use it as an acceptable method to make non-emergency changes to a dive plan.

Besides all of this, I don't trust myself to be able to do ratio deco in an emergency when I'm already task loaded... there's only so much my brain can handle and I recognize that limitation so I'll offload some of that to a computer. Sure I've got my tables to fall back on but the nature of the emergency may not allow me the time or gas to execute such a profile.

I'd rather plan gas using worst case scenarios in v-planner (e.g. absolute max depth/time) and then use a portable v-planner (e.g. the VR3 w/ VPM-B) to execute a profile that is less aggressive than the cut tables.

Perrone: we are in complete agreement (see above).

loosebits:
This isn't "on a whim". Lets say I'm planning to make that jump which is some distance back in the cave which most of it will be at 60'. I can't plan it as a multi-level dive because I don't know how long it will be before I reach that jump.

I was just looking for an example where you have a multi-level dive (where the bulk of the time is spent shallow) but you don't have enough information before your first dive there of how long it takes to get to your maximum depth. This generally wouldn't happen on wrecks, you plan to be at 180 for 20 min and then 90' for 20 mins, you have the ability to execute that exact plan. In caves, the cave and your swimming speed determines the profile.

Like any dive if you do not have enough information it seems to me that you should get it, then plan accordingly. Even if this means making multiple dives.

Scared Silly:
Like any dive if you do not have enough information it seems to me that you should get it, then plan accordingly. Even if this means making multiple dives.
Doesn't always work too well in a cave... one day it could take me 20 mins to get to a specific spot (say a 120' drop off), the next day it may take only 15... perhaps I was a little tired the first day and swam a little slower. Perhaps someone else was leading the dive and they set a different pace. Caves work a little different than OW and dive plans can;t be executed perfectly (at least not by a newbie like me).

Or I could just do this... say at an extremely slow pace, it will take me 30 mins to get here and cut tables appropriately and then use my computer to reduce my deco if it only took me 20 mins (if it takes 35 mins, turn the dive). Sounds like a lot more fun. What's your problem with this?

Back
Top Bottom