Multi deco vs V-planner vs GUE Deco Planner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disproven? Please cite any recent study that did this because I'm not aware of any. Please don't cite the NEDU study because the criteria used for deep stops did not come close to the parameters VPM uses.

Note I said essentially disproven because no one has bothered to test VPM specifically but if you look at both the NEDU and Spisni studies the fundamentals of the bubble models have been proven to be less effective than a dissolved gas model and VPM is not capable of modeling an ascent curve that mimics the one recommended by all of the leading researchers which has a GF-Lo roughly 80% that of GF-Hi.

To turn it over, is there anyone reputable today actually advocating for a bubble model algorithm?

Disproven? Please cite any recent study that did this because I'm not aware of any. Please don't cite the NEDU study because the criteria used for deep stops did not come close to the parameters VPM uses.

To turn it over, is there anyone reputable today actually advocating for a bubble model algorithm?
When the deep stop theories first came out, nearly everyone jumped on that bandwagon, accepting it as if it were a proven idea rather than really just an hypothesis. When studies finally started to be done, none of them supported the use of deep stops.

The commonly used VPM conservative factors are close to Buhlmann with GFs of 20/80. RGBM and the "Pyle Stops" methodology are roughly the same. As stated above, no research supports making decompression stops that deep, and every expert I know of advocates shallower first stops.

Mark Powell was a devotee of VPM and deep stops, and when TDI (his agency) redid their decompression procedures course a few years ago, when I was still a TDI instructor, they went all in on deep stops and VPM specifically, using material from Powell's book Deco for Divers. Powell moved away from that a few years ago, saying some stops are too deep. He recently performed a study of his own, although it did not rise to criteria needed for publication. In it, he did something that to my knowledge had not been done in previous research. He not only checked for bubbling right after divers surfaced, he tested them repeatedly afterward. The difference was significant. The divers who used a shallower stop model had bubble levels drop off over time as predicted, but the deeper stop divers not only maintained high levels much longer, they initially increased over the initial readings after surfacing.

This article summarizes this, but it was published before Powell's recent work.

Please don't cite the NEDU study because the criteria used for deep stops did not come close to the parameters VPM uses.
I haven't see this argument raised since the epic deep stop wars in several forums, including ScubaBoard. You seem to be channeling Ross Hemingway, who was for the most part the only one making that argument.

Here is the link for the ScubaBoard version of the argument. It is 131 pages long, and you will find where Ross makes the argument on many of those pages. You will then see the replies, mostly by Dr. Simon Mitchell, but IIRC, Dr. David Doolette stepped in a couple of times.

Honest question: NAUI was big on RGBM, and with that their Tech Classes then (or at least in my experience my instructor required us to) had you using VPM. Does anyone know if they have taken a different position?

Honest question: NAUI was big on RGBM, and with that their Tech Classes then (or at least in my experience my instructor required us to) had you using VPM. Does anyone know if they have taken a different position?
My guess is it was up to your instructor. After he was dismissed as training director for GUE, Andrew Georgitsis was briefly given charge of NAUI tech, and he brought his DIR beliefs with him for that time period. The only NAUI tech instructor I know still teaches Ratio Deco in his tech classes.

RGBM is still in their course standards as of a few days ago when I looked at them.

My guess is it was up to your instructor. After he was dismissed as training director for GUE, Andrew Georgitsis was briefly given charge of NAUI tech, and he brought his DIR beliefs with him for that time period. The only NAUI tech instructor I know still teaches Ratio Deco in his tech classes.
Learned something new today...

Andrew was never "in charge" of NAUI tech. They let him in after he was booted from GUE for GI3 insubordination lol. He had his own NAUI courses (which isnt uncommon, many agencies allow instructors to write there own materials). He bent the rules from NAUI standard 26/17 gas to turn it into 25/25 among other things. I have one of those trimix cards with his funny "UTD compliant" branding on the back
naui.jpg

One of the reasons he left to form UTD the actual agency was because he wasn't in charge at NAUI.

"GI3 insubordination" :rofl3:

Sounds about right...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom