Much Needed Scuba Inventions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A depth-triggered floatation device for u/w cameras. When the diver accidently drops his very expensive camera over a wall, the camera is feared lost, but when it hits 250' a cartridge of air inflates a bladder, bringing the $5000+ camera and housing to the surface.
Cappy, I hope this is not one of those been there done that posts! :11:

ROgue,

No, not personal experience, but I've opted to retrieve a bunch of guests' cameras from "beyond recreational dive limits" when I used to work for Nekton. I was never forced to do it, but did have extensive tech diving experience and the guests were always very appreciative. The more I did it, the more I dreamed of inventing just such a product.

How about incorporating front bladders into a BP/W harness. This would give some really positive heads up flotation on the surface in rough water. Something like a pocket-meets-wing. Make it an accordian style similar to the Zeagle Ranger style wings so that it is totally flat and streamlined in normal use. The deflated bladder would be behind the pocket. A little velcro to keep it all streamlined till you inflate. A nice balance betwean a BP/Wings superior underwater performance and a jacket style BC for max comfort floating at the surface. The front and rear would be completely seperate. As a bonus there would be redundant bouyancy in the event of a wing failure without having to manage a dual bladder wing all the time.

I can honestly say I've never, ever had issues floating at the surface in a BP/W if it is properly inflated...
If people are having issues floating at the surface it's a technique or inflation issue. :)

When I'm teaching I have often thought of how nice it would be to have lead weights that float if the students drop them!!:D
Hmmm. Maybe you could make a small inflatable device for them that attaches to a ripcord type thing (think the safety bracelet for a jet ski or treadmill or something along those lines) that attaches to the BC or fins (depending on location of weights) and inflates when it gets a certain distance away. You'd just have to remember to unattach it before you take the BC or fins off.

I say forget about text messaging, and give me an easily affordable wireless microphone/headset system that sounds good and has good range. What I want to do is just TALK to my buddy while I'm in the water...and if we can talk to each other, the boat can talk to and hear us as well. I know such things are available, but from what I've seen they're pretty pricey.

Ditto a high-quality video camera and housing/light system.

Or I guess this doesn't quite fit the theme of the thread? After all, these things are already out there, so they're not strictly new inventions, I just want them cheaper!
I don't WANT to chat while I'm diving. That's what scubaboard's for. :wink:

My ex Skunk works buddy is retired and is working on the Inertial Navigator for SCUBA. He already submitted the patent. (pending).
It was my idea, his skills and retirement free time. Looks promising, so far. A little pricey for the first run.
I still think that the RF beacon on the anchor line, and direction finder on the BCD is the cheaper solution.

Hmmm. Maybe you could make a small inflatable device for them that attaches to a ripcord type thing (think the safety bracelet for a jet ski or treadmill or something along those lines) that attaches to the BC or fins (depending on location of weights) and inflates when it gets a certain distance away. You'd just have to remember to unattach it before you take the BC or fins off.

:wink:

Can you imagine being on a cattle boat with a load of FNG’s and they all have those things. It would be like being in a meteor shower where they all hit the ground but only in reverse. Find some cover fast. :D

Gary D.

Instead of an expensive HUD mask how about just an LED that lights up when you reaqch a peset pressure/time? Wouldn't have to be fancy, maybe two, one for bottom time, the other for gas pressure, you dial in two settings based on dive plan and then you are easily reminded when you need to turnaround...won't replace watching your gages properly but does give an extra edge.

Mike

Wetsuit gloves should have something you could use as a nail. Many times I cursed trying to open or close with gloved fingers something that could easily be pried with a hard nail-like point.

I think not on fingertips, where they are liable to poke something you do not want poked, but on base knuckle of index finger. You would "extend" this nail by closing the fist.

A depth-triggered floatation device for u/w cameras. When the diver accidently drops his very expensive camera over a wall, the camera is feared lost, but when it hits 250' a cartridge of air inflates a bladder, bringing the $5000+ camera and housing to the surface.

Sorry if I am being dense :D , but why not just make the camera slightly positively bouyant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom