Mt. Storm diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankF

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was thinking about making a trip to Mt. Storm in West Virginia this December. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this is worthwhile trip? I'd love to hear any advice/tips you might have about diving there, as well.

FrankF once bubbled... Hey everyone,

I was thinking about making a trip to Mt. Storm in West Virginia this December. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this is worthwhile trip? I'd love to hear any advice/tips you might have about diving there, as well.
I've been there and would go pretty often if it wasn't such a drive for me.

Get up to speed on altitude diving before you go.

I drove by this summer on recon. I'd dive it but can't imagine those WV switchback roads in winter! Is there ANY motel nearby?

As I recall, there's a motel, but no air.

I researched it a few years back after pulling out the Rodale's review on it and found out that the diveshop listed in the article was long gone, but the motel was still there. I also spoke with a couple who had dived there a few years ago and they said the power plant isn't always running, so you don't always have the "quarribean" conditions you may anticipate.

The drive has kept me from making the trek as well.

Anybody else got some info?

Should be able to dive in December. I'll be there.... as long as they fire up a couple of the turbines that heat the lake. They were doing some work on them for the past few weeks and all three have not been running since the summer - so it's a bit chilly.

The roads aren't that bad. They keep them pretty clear unless there's a bad snow storm. Lots of skiers use the same roadways.

Best bet for motels would be in Keyser, WV. About 1/2 hr. away w. plenty of ok places to eat.

I'll keep that in mind for the dive-jones I expect I'll get between trips in February.

I haven't been there for a couple of years, but I have always been pleased with the Best Western Alpine Inn in Davis WV. About 10 miles from Mt. Storm. The power plant contract workers used to stay there, so that would indicate that it is the closest respectable place. Also a good value.
There was a micro-brewery restaurant next door last time I was there, too.
If you want to drive a little further there a couple of good state run lodges at Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley.
Because of the skiiers, you should definitely call ahead in December.
Stay warm!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom