MS Oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooperman1516

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anyone has done any diving on the oil rigs off the Mississippi/Louisiana coast? I'm down here for the next 6 months and looking for any suggestions. Planning on going to the "mighty O" in Pensacola, FL. but other than that haven't really found too much yet. Thanks in advance-

Lots of us have/continue to dive the Gulf oil rigs. Are you looking for an operator? Where are you? Most operators in the Gulf are 6 pack charters, and for many, spearfishing is their game. There is more to do on rigs than fish, the macro life is awesome, most rigs (and by rigs, I mean platforms) have resident turtles, many have sharks, parts of the year in Main Pass the tarpon are so big and numerous that you'd think they were plentiful, the sow red snapper are thick, and there are AJ's enough to feed the whole family. Do you want to learn to spear? Do you want to take pictures while everyone else spears? What do you want from the rigs, and I'll try to send you to someone who can provide those things. Knowing how far you are willing to travel and how "independent" of a diver you are will help too. Some of those Cajun boys are pretty rough and tough, and guided dives just don't happen.

im looking for a diving partner. im in the pascagoula area and am anxious to get in the water. im not a spear fishermen. although i would like to learn, i have no training or gear. i am an Advanced open water diver, and am looking to practice a little photography while under. if you are interested in getting together and making a few trips, let me no. i have been wanting to do the oriskany for a while, but have not had the time or friend to do it and enjoy it.

Capt.- I'm looking to just get in the water and dive. I can travel around 2-3 hrs, I have to rent a car while I'm stationed here since my vehicle is in San Diego. I would be happy just kicking around while people spear, have no prob with that. So any suggestions would be great. Thnx again

I still don't know where you are.... If I had to guess, I'd say Pascagoula, and you're TDY in the Navy? Underwater Adventures in Baton Rouge and Caribbean dive shop in Metarie aren't too far from you, and they run local trips. The Oriskany is in Pensacola, and there are a plethora of boats and shops there. I recommend Jim at Dr. Dive to take you out there. Gary's Gulf Divers in Orange Beach, AL enjoys an excellent reputation for local diving. I have a friend that teaches in Ocean Springs. I'll ask her who she teaches for and if they run any local trips.

Cooperman and Lockdown, join the Miss Gulf Fishing Banks Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks, Inc.. Mark "Primo" Miller can hook you up with folks who dive rigs as well as a lot of sunken boats and barges (as well as debris piles and such) that they have sunk and have the coordinates to. Before Katrina I dived that area a lot with friend who has since moved to Dallas. We mostly dived out of Pascagoula, the best stuff was straight out from there.

There is also a group of guys who dive with Aqua Aces, Frogmaen and Hell Divers that are in and out of Coral Reef Dive Shop in Slidell (985-641-9888). These guys have their own boats and for gas money will usually take someone out. Mark

thanks for the info. ill keep that in mind when i get the chance to go out again.

Back
Top Bottom