Mres Volos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Volos! They've been through just about everything and are still going strong.

I also noticed an improvement on my SAC when I started using them - but then I only plod along, who wants to be a speed merchant under water - you'll miss soooo much!

Jonathan

I just bought a pair, and they are going on their first real dive trip on Saturday! I tried them out in the pool, and they were great there, but we'll see how they are in the ocean...

I have read all the other posts and I am suprised at some of the responses. I have had my Volos for about 2 years and I would not trade them for anything. I do a lot of cold water diving and in current and I have found that I am less fatigued and can manuvere very well. If I had one complaint it would be the cost. As for the buckles, I take extremely good care of my equipment and have not had any problems, other divers I know toss the fins in the back of their p/u....little wonder things crack.

at Santa Barbara Island on Saturday. Conditions were less than optimal, but they performed well. I did not find them to be bouyant, although they are obviously not jet fins. The best thing is, I didn't feel them at all. I had been using a borrowed pair of the Avanti Quattros, and they were too much fin for me. I had no trouble keeping up, and didn't experience any entanglement issues in the kelp. I am really pleased, but the locking mechanism on the buckle seems like overkill to me. Frankly, I did like the release mechanism on my Blades (now retired for tropical use because they don't fit over my thicker local booties) was a lot easier to deal with on the swim step. With my drysuit, I had been using an old pair of jet fins, and anything is better than removing those, though...

Hmm.... Now I'm kind of anxious to try out my new Volos (B-batch). I got them pretty cheap off ebay, tho, so it won't be too heartbreaking if i have a problem.

I bought my Volos last year, after I tried my buddies.
I was amazed at how easy they are to kick.

My air consumption dropped 20%, no kidding!

We also had a student with MS (multiple sclerosis) ignore spelling.
He was having dificulty in keepin up with the class in routine finning swims, snorkeling excecises etc. We were going to suggest he enroll in an Adaptive Scuba (handicapped) course.
We tried a pair of the Volos on him first, it was like someone gave his legs a boost in power. He moved from the back of the pack to the the front 1/2.

The claims made by Mares of 30% increase in efficienncy are no lie. Our MS student was able to meet the requirements of a regular scuba course, which made all us happy.

I would recoomend adding the spring straps to them.

Early production lots of the Volos had defective rubber compound, if your Volos crack excessively or break at the hinge, Mares will replace them no-charge.

Mike D
:blfish:

We in the Great Lakes area are experiencing a lot of fin (CRACKS)
particularly on the bottom of our fins.

The area is invested with Zebra Mussels, just about every rock ans shoal is covered in them. Zebrra mussels have a razor sharp shell and Ibeleive that most of the so called crackes are infact cuts in the rubber, from steping on Zebra mussels.

I've checked my fins and My Volos, Quattros and old jet fins all have the tell tail slices in the bottoms.

Mike D

I got mine a month ago and used them on about 10 dives since. No cracks yet, although it's too early to tell. I like them a lot, compared to the Dacor Pursuits that I had before. A lot easier to paddle, especialy on the surface on my back. My air consumption appears to have improved as well. Not a night and day type thing, but a significant amount nonetheless, roughly 10-15%. Underwater they were not as comfortable on my feet at first as many said they would be, but after adjusting the straps over the course of a couple of dives I think I finally got the fit down. So far I'd consider them money well-spent. We'll see how they hold up long term.

-Roman.

Yeah, we'll see.

I get to try them out (and my new BC :) ) for the first time this weekend.

For those guys with torn hinges...

I'm also dissatisfied by it's lifespan. For sure it can NOT handle the demands of a diving pro.

So what now? Is it covered by warantee? I've been sending Mares emails but to no avail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom