MP3 players

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fellowtraveler44

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone had experience with an underwater MP3 player? I would think that such a device might be enjoyable now & then, particularly sitting at a deco bar for a while (rock tunes, classical, books on tape, etc.). If so, which brands have you tried and how would you rate it (pros & cons)?

I use the Finis SwiMP3 and have had it to 40meters.
It uses bone induction for audio and gives fantastic sound quality underwater.

In my case I make a sound track part of my dive plan... and while my taste in music doesn't appeal to everyone, a little "Oops, I did it again" before I hit the surface does get my attention ;-)

Don't you worry that your buddy might need help and is banging away at their tank or trying to get your attention, while you are blissfully listening to your tunes and can't hear them, that this might be a problem?

Don't you worry that your buddy might need help and is banging away at their tank or trying to get your attention, while you are blissfully listening to your tunes and can't hear them, that this might be a problem?

Nope, I maintain visual contact with my buddy. At a bare minimum, we are in close contact at all times. Otherwise, why even buddy up?

I think an underwater MP3 player is a great idea, but, I can only really see it being used in deco. Otherwise, all kidding aside, it can distract you from your tasks at hand, and could get ya killed if you were smart enough to be listening to it while surfacing. (No way to hear the fishing boats rushing to your dive flag, thinking it's a mooring buoy...or something else ridiculous....)
Just my $0.02

Nope, I maintain visual contact with my buddy. At a bare minimum, we are in close contact at all times. Otherwise, why even buddy up?

I think an underwater MP3 player is a great idea, but, I can only really see it being used in deco. Otherwise, all kidding aside, it can distract you from your tasks at hand, and could get ya killed if you were smart enough to be listening to it while surfacing. (No way to hear the fishing boats rushing to your dive flag, thinking it's a mooring buoy...or something else ridiculous....)
Just my $0.02

Great answer, IMO.

When I dive a Dolphin SCR I like hearing the airflow so mp3 volume is just high enough that I get a "song in my head"

Eye contact is always a plus, if you have a buddy.

Hi

Try a website called "audio flood". They modify apple iPod shuffles which can go to 200ft. Not that I recommend doing that. I use mine on deco. You get underwater earphones with it, however they don't work great. I am currently researching better earphones. The iPod unit is great though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom