MP3 and Laptop recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norboo

Registered
Reaction score
I want to update some of my electronics gadgets.

Need recommendations on:
- MP3 player
- Laptop
- Decktop PC

- Popup blockers
- Firewall
- Anti virus program
- Spyware

am I missing anything?

MP3 Player: Just bought an iRiver iFP-890 (256). I did a lot of research before buying and so for I'm happy with it. It's my first MP3 player and now I'm wondering how I have survived without one.

Popup blocker, Firewall and Anti-virus: you can't go wrong with Norton.

Spyware: Try Ad-Aware at www.lavasoft.de. This software saved me from completely tossing one of my laptops. I was ready to give up before I installed this software. Great for browser highjacking problems and spyware.

And don't forget to add a good camera cell phone to your list of gadgets.

Ron

Well I don't have an MP3 player, I have an MP3 CD player, so I can't help you on that.

My mom just got a dell laptop and it rocks. I don't know what your budget is either, so that would affect what recommendations I'd give you. Macs are good too if you like them and have money burning a hole in your pocket.

For PC:
pop up blockers.. I use Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer so I don't get popups.

For spyware go to http://www.download.com/sort/3150-8022-0-1-4.html? and download Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware, both good programs that together will take care of all of your problems.

For free antivirus you can download AVG at http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Like ron said norton is a good way to go too, they have all that stuff and its easy to use.

Laptop: Nothing sexier than a Thinkpad X series.. Thinkpad T if you want something a little bigger.

I have a SonicBlue Rio S35S and love it.. any of their new players would be great, but you could also get a hard drive player. Mmmm iPod..

Google toolbar is a great popup blocker, Ad-Aware for Spyware, antivirus free online through Panda Antivirus, firewall get a cheap ethernet router and don't use that silly software.

adaware is cute, but you have to have a mix.. ad-aware, spybot seach and destroy as a combo will keep you clean. Google toolbar is excellent for pop up supression.

Browser wise? Mozilla is cute, I prefer MyIE2 (www.myie2.com). No need for the pop up supression then.

Laptop or desktop? Desktop if you don't need something totally mobile for work and or if your on the road less than 25% of the time. Check out one of the Visionman workstations (www.visionman.com). Laptop of your a travel warrior and need to have computing at your disposal. IBM or Toshiba make good travel models for airlines type travel. One of the wider screen laptops are very cool for screen size and desktop landscape. Dell also makes a good PC for use.

AVG Antivirus or Panda, both excellent choices for viruses.

Firewall? Not unless you plan on being online 24/7/365. If your using a broadband connection, learn to configure your hardware, its got a built in firewall in it. To put a hardware then software firewall in you'll only degrade your performance - to have only a software firewall, your drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and software can be breached quite easily versus hardware :wink:

mp3 player? iPod, CreativeLabs or Sony..

Norboo:

Need recommendations on:
- MP3 player
- Laptop
- Decktop PC

- Popup blockers
- Firewall
- Anti virus program
- Spyware

am I missing anything?

Laptop - Sony VAIO

Popup blocker - Either use Mozilla/Firefox or the new one in IE with the XP SP2 update.
Firewall - do it in hardware as mentioned in the prior reply.
Anti-Virus - AVG - it's free
Spyware - I also run both Spybot and Ad-Aware as mentioned previously, one catches what the other misses.

am I missing anything? - A 3CCD video camera might be nice....

Norboo:

Need recommendations on:
- MP3 player
Can't really help there

- Laptop
I would recommend DELL. There are alot of decent laptops out there, but Dell's are pretty good. The thing to remember about laptops is that they often have problems. Therefore, the reason I recommend Dell, is the customer support is very good. Buy the extended warrenty, for most things they are a waste, but not with a laptop. Trust me you will save a lot of money later on.
Specs:
2.4GHZ or greater processor
512MB-1GB of RAM
Video card with minimum 64MB of RAM
30GB hard drive minimum
Wireless G, ethernet, modem
Combo dvd/dvd burner or DVD/CDRW for backup
Spare battery

- Decktop PC
Dell isn't bad here either (no, I don't work for Dell), but desktops are much easier to work on yourself. You can get a decent computer at Best Buy or other such place for cheap. Unless you have specific needs, like video editing, their floor models should be fine. Steer clear of gateway. Their customer service isn't as good and they have too many problems on averge.

SPEC:
2.4GHZ or greater processor
1GB of RAM
Video card with minimum 128MB of RAM
80GB SATA hard drive minimum
Wireless G, ethernet, modem
Combo dvd/dvd burner or DVD/CDRW for backup

- Popup blockers
- Firewall

Zonealarm pro 5.0 Hands down, comes with a popup blocker

- Anti virus program

Norton is good, but a serious memory hog. They are fairly quick on responding to virus outbreaks.
Panda Antivirus is also very good, bit more expensive.

- Spyware

Spysweeper 2.2 is very good, but you have to buy it and it is a memory hog.
The free ones like spybot, adaware, and others are ok, but not updated as often.

ipods rock!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom