Mozambique in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hapadiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering going to Mozambique in mid August. I've heard that weather-wise this is a good time to visit, but it's the underwater world that concerns me most.

Haven't bought the ticket yet (I know, I should do this soon), but I'm thinking of spending about two weeks or more with a some time for South Africa at the end (probably would fly from NYC to Joburg before heading to Mozambique, so this wouldn't be a stretch).

So here's my wish list for answers:

1. Have read that it's not the season for whalesharks but am curious what it's like for other big marine life, such as manta rays.

2. In general, how is the visibility at this time of year?

3. Let me preface this next question with the fact that I get cold diving in SE Asia ... Do I need a 5 mm or will a 3mm full suit do the trick?

4. I've read many of the threads about Tofu, and that's my number one destination. How many days of diving does one need to really see all Tofu's sites?

5. And, finally, are there off-the-beaten-path dive areas in other parts of the country that I can get to if I don't have a rental car, in other words via public transportation? I'm more of the backpacker type, so getting a 4WD just sounds a bit elaborate to me.

Thanks!
Hapadiver

Hi

It's not really Whaleshark season , but according to the operators there they get them all year round . I went in Nov last tear and saw plenty - the Mantas should be there also , as well as other gamefish .

The viz can vary , but you should get at least 12m .

A 3mm full suit will do , I used a 5mm full suit. We had a water temp of around 26 deg C .

I wouldn't spend less than 5 days there .

For other places , enquire about Vilankulos or Guinjata Bay , they're in the same area .

You may want to e-mail Tofo Scuba (where I stayed) to make enquiries or to confirm my info.
Their website is www.tofoscuba.com

If you have any more questions please ask , if I don't know the answers I will try to fiind out for you .

Safe Diving

Andrew

I would add that some of deeper dives had a very noticable thermocline in March. I don't get cold, but I did notice the cold at Galeria. The dive shops rent 5mm fulls so that may be a good guide. I was in a 3mm.

Barra Beach (mentioned in NYT) is up the coast, but shops there essentially dive the same sites as the TOfo operators.

Some other stuff:

Check with Iberia for flights. This year and last year, they had a $600 rt ticket that required a layover in Madrid. Strangely, this year the price was not advertised. It was 2 redeyes in a row but still - $600!

A charter flight from Jburg to Inhambane is around $500 rt. It only goes twice a week and leaves from Lanceria(about 50min from JHB INT). The flight is about 2 hours(assuming that they leave on time - not something I would bet on). You can also take a bus from JBurg to Maputo then from Maputo to Inhambane for about $100 rt. The bus ride is about a day and a half. From what I've been told, the ride from Maputo is crowded, long (7 hours+) and there are no bathroom breaks. Its supposed to be pretty safe and backpackers are all over the place.

I would recommend Diversity just for the location. The shop is in the middle of town and closer to the boat launch area. Tofo Beach is a small place so this isn't actually a huge deal. In terms of dive safety, I don't think that there can be too much of a difference between Tofo Scuba and Diversity. I dove with Diversity and they were great. Tofo Scuba has nitrox, but Diversity should have it soon. I don't know the cost, but I imagine its not cheap. Diversity also has a cafe/surf shop next door run by one of its DMs.

One thing that I would check is when the high season is. Apparently, the place is swamped during SA holidays.

I must say that South Africa is amazing. I would definitely spend some time there. Maybe even get a dive in near Capetown. Although I would bring a drysuit. The water there is FA-reezing!

BTW, my nephew is hapa. Have fun!

Thanks, Berty and Andy!

You guys have been so very helpful. I think I'll be fine with a long 3mm.

I'm having a little trouble finding affordable flights--I need to fly from NY to Joburg and then to Europe for work afterward. I will definitely check out Iberia.

South Africa sounds amazing. I think, in the end, I will have about two and a half weeks, so I will try to combine the two countries. I always like to take the bus--seven hours doesn't sound bad at all.

Hope this trip works out. Mozambique sounds amazing! If you have any more advice about great spots to dive in Africa, please pass the information on.

Best regards!

Hapadiver

PS: Hapa haole ... Hapa fish!

If you decide to visit Cape Town send me a PM and I will arrange some dives for you down here !!!

Safe Diving

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom