Moving your wife to DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We enjoy sharing the underwater world together. My goal is to only make her feel more confendent in the water. Two things that I know to work is good training and gear that works with you.

As long as we are diving together that's all I really care about. Thanks for the feedback I will walk softly in my approach to make changes. Hoping one day to act as a team under the waves as we do above them.

Thanks again.......

I went back and thought about what got Peter into a backplate . . . and I have your answer.

Borrow a scooter. You can't use a scooter without a crotch strap. Convince her to get into a backplate system to play with the scooter. If you do it right, she'll never go back :)

As others have mentioned, I would be VERY careful with how much you push your wife towards DIR. It REALLY needs to be HER decision.

I know several girlfriends of male dive partners who have warmed up to our equipment after seeing me (a small women) diving the style. Perhaps it would be most effective if you two did some diving with a lady DIR diver. If your wife shows interest, perhaps the lady friend will offer her personal equipment for a trial?

I’d happily join you two for some dives if I lived closer :).

Maybe a DIR weekend like the one that's coming up in FL might help. I also can start putting the 5thdx video on over night. Maybe some will sink in. Change her wall paper on the computer and phone to me in trim.

With a vacation diver you are limited to warm water. So even if I don't get her to try out the rig before our next trip I'm still going to pack it. You never know when it might just happen.

Till then I will work with our two year old. He can frog kick and shoot a bag in the pool. Thanks again for the suggestions!

I went back and thought about what got Peter into a backplate . . . and I have your answer.

Borrow a scooter. You can't use a scooter without a crotch strap. Convince her to get into a backplate system to play with the scooter. If you do it right, she'll never go back :)

I can get scooters, maybe I will try that!

Jim - Never been married so am not going to give any martial advice here and only address the diving portion of your post.

Does your wife only dive warm water? She is welcome to try my DSS BP/W single rig if you can get her to Dutch, stay shallow in the platforms so it's not as cold. My rig has weight pockets on the cam bands.

These days, I dive my doubles rig when I'm at Dutch so it's not a problem at all. I can take her out for a spin if you want to avoid the spousal teacher student thingy. :D

I went through this with skiing and had to get a pro to finish the class. I would never go down this road again unless she wanted me to fix little things. It's best left up to the pros who make their living fixing people.

Back in the '90's I was a ski instructor. One of the things they told us in the PSIA training was to not try teaching a family member how to ski ... the personal relationship gets in the way of the student/instructor relationship.

The same holds true for diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom