Moving to Utila...tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Alright well the time in my life has come where i get to do exactly what i want, when i want, so damnit, I'm moving to Utila. Ill be arriving in Mid Feb to train with Utila Dive center (Hi Andy!!) and if all goes well then i plan on staying in the region for quite a while. Soo, any tips, suggestions, warnings or helpfull nuggets of knowledge? Ill be looking for an apartment, living on a tight budget (initially) and possibly bringing my dog. I like beer, spicy food, and I'm also into doing volunteer work with youngsters. I was thinking of bringing my own bike, but maybe ill buy one when i get there.

- Alright, HIT ME!! (=

JAY

LoL when i said hit me i didn't mean with a wall of silence ( = But seriously any tips would be most apreciated!!

( = Jay

it's just jealousy.

I've been to Utila only once as a tourist, but if I were moving there I'd be thinking about what to bring to amuse myself when you aren't diving. Maybe a portable dvd player, an mp3 player with speakers, a laptop, a deck of cards...

Start your search here

aboututila.com

bring your bike, don't depend upon being able to buy one on the island....there's not much to buy there.....

there are some realty offices listed on the aboututila.com site which can help you find a rental. Also ask Andy if he can make any recommendations for you, I hear he's a nice guy.

Good luck

*smile*

Beer: Port Royal (now I've done it!!!)
Spicy food: Daves (or bring curry paste)

Enjoy 2007!!!!

Warm regards,
Andy

ZenDiva:
Start your search here

aboututila.com

*smile*

thanks for the link...good stuff there...Ive noticed on various websites there seems to be a bias against Utila and towards Roatan....any idea why this would be? Oh and Andy ill give you a ring this week so we can tie things up a little. - Cheers!!

yeah one guy described Utila as a concrete jungle and Roatan as paradise...ive been looking through pictures....im thinking maybe he was in New Jersey and just confused??

It's just because the main settlement on Utila is in the town, once you get out of the town on the East side, or cycle over to the Northside, there' s some beautiful beaches and areas, unfortunately most visitors on a short 7 day trip only see the town whilst on land. Roatan also has a built up area (Coxens Hole) it's just not visited much by tourists as it's only a transit point for them, and mainly a commerical area.

Talk to you soon Jay,
Andy

GoProHonduras:
It's just because the main settlement on Utila is in the town, once you get out of the town on the East side, or cycle over to the Northside, there' s some beautiful beaches and areas, unfortunately most visitors on a short 7 day trip only see the town whilst on land. Roatan also has a built up area (Coxens Hole) it's just not visited much by tourists as it's only a transit point for them, and mainly a commerical area.

Talk to you soon Jay,
Andy

Agreed, I've spent very little time in town, have been there several times for lunches, dinner or a visit to see Doctor John, I spend most of my time on the beach, or in the water......

When you drive around the island it's very beautiful, the town is rather small and a very interesting place to walk around.

Back
Top Bottom