Moving to Raleigh, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seahorsingaround

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm moving to Raleigh soon from Grenada (WI). Just poking around to see what's there - I'm not exactly certain how I'm going to function when I'm no longer diving/in the pool 2+ times per week! :O Let me know if there are any water opportunities to be had in the local area! I'll be finishing my DM and master SCUBA diver (PPB, wreck, deep, photography, night, and EANx) in the next week or so. Thoughts on dry suit diving in the area? I already dive in a 7mm and always get cold every dive if I'm not chasing students or newbies around :D I recently did a night dive with a 3mm shortie underneath my 7mm (partly because I was too lazy to take the 3mm off after being in the pool and partly because I was already cold haha).

Thanks! I am certainly going to miss Grenada!:(

Welcome to the area.
We have several good dive shops, a couple of questionable ones and an active diving community. The Down Under shop has the largest and most active club in the area with meetng monthly and summer outting from May to October. Scuba Diving Certification and Gear Sales, Rental in Raleigh, Cary North Carolina | Down Under Surf and Scuba
For local diving we have 3 public (pay) quarries within 2 hrs of Raleigh (one 45 minutes away Fantasy Lake Scuba Park ) and 2 membership only quarries | Piedmont Diving & Rescue Association within 2 hrs. In addition, you can be at the dock of world class wreck diving in 2 to 4 hrs (depending on destination). Feel free to drop me a PM for more detailed info

As for dry suits, there are a lot of divers in the area that use them from late fall until mid May or if they plan to go deep in the quarries. From mid summer to early fall, the quarries warm up enough that heavy wet or dry suits are not needed.

Welcome to Scubaboard. That is some move you are making!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom