Moving to NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its All about the U

Registered
Reaction score
I am relocating from Florida to NC and need some exposure suit advice. Currently I dive w/ a 3mm here w/ a shorty and hood in addition for anything less than 75 degrees. The coldest Ive been is 68 degrees in the Gulf and it was chilly. I am moving to Morehead City and would like to dive as much as I can- season goes from mid March through November w/ water temps as low as high 50 s- I would also like to dive further north off the OuterBanks where I understand that even in the early summer it can be in low 60s, High 50 s due to Gulf Stream veering off. Im leaning on going Dry but wonder if a 7mm would work - any thoughts ?

Most divers would be very content in a 7mm suit with a core warmer. For the coldest of those dives I'd wear a 7mm Bare Arctic with a hooded Step-in Shorty. As things get warmer back it down to perhaps a hooded chicken vest or bibbed hood. At some point you might find use for a 5mm. If you plan to dive the seasons it often becomes a wardrobe, not just a suit.

Now what's this about the March through November season? If you're going to miss FL that much get a shell type drysuit and vary the undergarments with the seasons, all 4 of them.

Pete

Not sure where you are moving to in NC but I am in Gastonia. I have some of the bare 7MM suits in rental you could try and see if you like if you are ever up this way. Would be better to try before you buy.

Brent

In North Carolina the temperature varies from "no suit needed" to a full wetsuit, thick. Maybe a dry suit if you prefer. It depends on what the Gulf Stream is doing, where you are, how deep you go, and the time of year. It is a great place to dive. You can get a range of different experiences, and all in one state.

Happy diving!

In the southern part of NC, I dive most of the dive season in a 3mm full suit with dive skin, booties and thin reef gloves. Sometimes all I need is a shorty. I have used a 7mm when the water temps dropped below 72 degrees, but I usually use a trilam shell dry suit with latex ankle seals and then vary the undergarments depending on water temp (200g is usually plenty).

Since the dry suit requires more maintenance, and the 7mm is so buoyant, I try to dive the 3mm as long as possible by adding a dry hood and booty socks, and then switch to the trilam when I really need to. I do everything I possibly can to avoid diving with weights because with my BP/W and 3mm, I do not need any extra lead. My dive buddy uses a semi-dry when the water drops below 70 degrees, but he needs a lot of lead and he still gets cold. He's looking for a trilam right now.

Diving off Morehead City will be a little cooler than where I am, but the diving is good. You may want to consider layering to maintain core temp. The Gulf Stream is very warm, but it usually requires a rather long boat ride to take advantage of it.

It's ironic, but I'm thinking about moving from NC to Florida in the near future for the warmer water!

I found those warm water wrecks off Morehead worth the long trip out there. In your area of Eastern NC there is a favorite place to eat. Make sure you visit the Sanitary Restaurant. That's the name.

Moving from NC to Florida? I did in 2004. Be sure to pack plenty of Moon Pies, real BBQ sauce, and some red hot dogs. You can't get them here. But... the water here today was 77, so I used a 3mm suit. Saw numerous sharks and turtles off Jupiter. Moray eels, too. Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom