Moving to Lithu'e, Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjpell

Contributor
Reaction score
Grand Rapids, Michigan / Portland, Oregon / Ft. La
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,

My name is Ben. My wife (Jen) and I are moving from north Miami Beach, Florida to Lihu'e Janurary 19th and were looking to make some new friends & dive buddies in Hawaii. Currently, we try to get out and dive at least once a week when surf conditions permit. It would be awesome if someone would "show us the ropes" of your local beach diving in Hawaii and some of the local sites on Kauai. We are booth Advanced certified and have over 100 dives each under our weight-belts.:D

We also love to go hiking and want to hit the trails on the island. We used to live in Portland, Oregon and loved spending our weekends hiking Mt. Hood's miles of trails, and the waterfalls of the Columbia River Gorge.

If you don't mind answering a few questions and making a new buddy, reply or PM me when you get a chance. :14:

Thanks!

-=ben pell

My recommendation would be to take advantage of inter island airfares (there's a fare war going on right now) and get out and dive some of the other islands while you're here. Wildcard and I were unimpressed with Koloa Landing as a shore dive spot in October, but our boat dive with SeaSport was better. Some of the best diving is on the Kona side of the Big Island or Molokini Crater off Maui.

Thanks for your input. I really want to stay at my new place for awhile and dive there if possible, but we are in the works of planning a trip to the Big Island and Maui already.

-=ben

Well if you are in Kauai you have to eventually take the charter to Niihau. For a big big backpacking hike do the Na Pali Coast Trail. Its quite a big deal though and you must camp. Do try and avoid going off designated trails, especially ones that lead to "Secret waterfalls". People fall and die all the time in Kauai because they don't respect the trail markers and are in search of their little piece of paradise.

The only diving I have done was through SeaSport divers out of Poipu. They are fantastical as most members here would agree. I have heard mixed opinions on the shore diving, but there seems to be an abundance of it on the south shores.

Charters can run a bit high, so you may want to invest in a kayak or small boat if possible so you can avoid breaking your wallet for charter dives. There arent too many shark sightings but lots of dolphin sightings.

And I think thats all i know! Oh and people drive fast on kauai! Watch it! :)

Aloha,

I grew up on Oahu and have been diving on Oahu, Maui, Lanai and the Big Island. But I will be on Kauai for the next two weeks and would love to find someone (other than dive shops) to dive with. Short resume, I started diving in 1968, spend a fair amount of tiime inland w/o opportunities and got back in more in the last 3 years. Last trip was diving in Roatan Honduras in Oct. and last dive a quarry in Alabama in Dec. I'm 53, not in the best of shape (I can no longer match the younger folks in air comsuption) and a photographer. I am half way through rescue diver cert and half way through training for diving with disabled people who are not certified.

If you are interested you can reply here or email me at mecarterphd@comcast.net. I will be on Kauai 4/7=4/19.

Mahalo

Mike Carter

PS I read the thread about Niihau and from what I have read and heard some of that is supposed to be spectacular. I'm not sure I'm up to it right now but maybe next trip.

I'm now on the main land but can give you some good suggestions on where to do some great shore diving. The charters are good but expensive unless you waive around your camaina drivers license to get the local rate. Its cut down about 80 bucks a person if you do for the nihau trip with seasport. The trip is worth it, but a long boat ride out and back makes for a long day. A lot all of the dives that seasport goes on you can do from the shore if in great shape, but otherwise I would not suggest it because the currents can be strong.

-=ben

I am going to be in Kaui the first week of June with 2 of my dive buddies. We are interested in doing some shore dives as well. I am especially interested in Tunnels. I did it as a snorkel a few years ago and it was fantastic. Please email me if you have found any good dive sites.
Jane
thejanieo@yahoo.com

Aloha, Diver Gal.

Tunnels Beach should be good diving in early June but ocean conditions up there are finicky so monitor the site the day before diving for surf and current. I strongly recommend at least one guided tour before heading out as it features some beautiful lava tubes and a local divemaster/instructor will know exactly how to navigate and show you where all the cool stuff is.

Same recommendation for south shore diving...doing a guided tour with a knowledgeable local who dives the site regularly will make ALL the difference in the world for your experience. I've seen divers do Koloa Landing on their own and completely miss the spotted eagle rays, the dragon morays, the harlequin shrimp and all of the cool shrimp cleaning stations (they'll hop right out and clean your fingers for you!). So try at least one guided tour with the dive shop of your choice before venturing out on your own.

If you want, check out our website (aascuba.com). Otherwise, happy diving!

I did 4 dives at Tunnels and had a great time. Particularly if you can get out a ways around the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom