Moving to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For $2000 CI a month you could get a very nice condo over here. I live with my partner on Palm Heights Drive, on the canal. We have a two bedroom condo with communial garden and our own mooring space on the canal, open plan kitchen and livingroom, one bathroom, quite spacious for $1400 per month. The location is great as it is a stones throw from the beach (we use the Hyatt facilities - naughty naughty i know,) and all the shops, bars, restaurants and so on. South Sound as Drew suggested is lovely, however if you want to go out at night it is quite a way away from pretty much everything apart from Sunset (My Bar,) and Seaview. With the costs of taxis, and the drink driving thing you can end up feeling a bit "cut off" from things if you live too far away from it all, which in my opinion is not so good when you first move to an island and are looking to meet people and make friends. My partner and i initially looked at South Sound when we moved to the island, but did not find anything we liked for our budget which we set at $1500 per month, but are quite glad we ended up on the SMB drag for the reasons stated. Bear in mind if you get a place for say example $1500 per month, you will need a total of $3000 to give your landlord (initially) to cover your security deposit. Other set up costs include electricity, phone line, and water. I can't remember exactly how much it all cost us (there were also differing payment options you can opt for,) but i would put $500 aside to cover it. If you can at all avoid it, try and not get Cable and Wireless - totally useless, there is another phoneline provider coming to the island who will be providing internet and so on, but i can't remember their name, maybe Drew will know. I would definately hire a car when you get here, you will need it to look around flats and so on. After our car hire contract finished we bought a Suzuki jeep second hand from Coconut Car Rentals for about $2500 CI, cars tend to be quite expensive over here, especially for what you get but you pretty much have to bite the bullet and live with it, as you will find it tough without one.

What are you going to be doing work wise over here? I take it that with a budget of $2000 per month for rent you will not be working as a diving instructor?! For what its worth i think Cayman is a great place to live, very good quality of life, its safe crime wise, and there is always loads to do, lots of which does not cost very much to do (an afternoon shore diving for $6 CI for one tank.) People say it is expensive here, and lets face it - its not exactly cheap, but you don't have to spend huge amounts of money if you do not want to.

Anyway, anything else i can help you out with just shout.

Cheers - Bob

Thanks! The position is in software development and information analysis.

I would like a place that makes it easy to have an active lifestyle. I currently have a pretty sedentary lifestyle and I really want to use this oppurtunity to make a life change. I'd love to be able to walk to the ocean.

Work will put me up at a hotel for my first week and gives me a months pay bonus to help with the startup costs. I'd like to purchase some sort of Jeep type vehicle in the $5K CI range.

Bob, the place you described sounds very close to what I would like. Cayman actually seems much less expensive than what I was thinking when I accepted the job offer.

Any suggestions on where to meet people once I get down?

Ryan

There are a few focal points of social activity. Royal Palms is a gathering spot that collects locals and toursits with music and dancing.

Cable and Wireless is known by some not-so-flattering other names. The telecommunications market has just opened up to competition and cell phone providers have jumped in first. DigiCell and AT&T Wireless are providing cell service. Internet competition is available from WestStar, which is the sole provider of cable television. TeleCayman is Coming! (How could anyone forget those annoying ads!?) and it looks like TeleCayman will be the first competitor to offer residential fixed line service.

Set up costs for utilities include a non-refundable hook-up fee of about CI$65 or so for cable tv. Cable & Wireless offers a lower deposit (about CI$100) if you agree to have your bill automatically deducted, otherwise its about CI$300. Competitors are probably similar. My electric is maintained in my landlord's name so I'm not sure what deposits are required there.

Priority #1 when you get to the island is to set up a bank account. Go ahead and get a basic letter of reference from your current bank (John Doe has been a customer for X years, with checking and/or savings accounts in good standing.) and bring a copy of your last bank statement. When you arrive you will still need a letter from your employer (they'll know what to put in it). You will need to have your work permit stamped in your passport, which might take a quick trip to Immigration. Take all of this to a bank and open your account before trying to set up any utilities.

Ask around to fins a suitable jeep. Lots of people are constantly coming and going off the island and you should be able to find something suitable without resorting to a dealer mark-up. You should be able to find something fairly nice for $5K. Annual car registration is about CI$160-180, including vehicle inspection. Liability insurance is mandatory, and mine is about CI$350 per year.

With regards to the meeting people i am not too sure to be honest. I have spent the last few months working in the diving industry and the hours were such that i got very little time to go out and enjoy the island, so it kind of defeated the object of being here (i have changed jobs now.) As such we have met a few people, but just by way of chance and so on rather than actively going to bars and so on to meet people. I am fortunate that being over here with my partner, there is not such pressure to meet people, though this may not be such a good thing in some ways as it means you can be lazy and sit in the flat watching TV. There are actually quite a few clubs over here for all sorts of tastes, they might be worth joining, a good way of networking and meeting people.

All i can say Ryan is take me with you! i'll cook for you, clean for you..and whatever else you want me too do.....just take me with you. I was there in Feb. and i loved it. I stayed at the Sunset House and love it there.

Hello Ryan P,

I just started my search and am considering moving to Grand Cayman from Denver. I am your age and single as well, but know no one there and am curious if you are concerned with meeting people? Also, once you are there and I decide to go, can I get in touch with you to find out how you did things (buy car, rent condo, etc.)?

Jacqueline

Hi Jaqueline,
I'm not sure if Ryan ever made it down here! His post was from back in August last year, just a few weeks prior to Hurricane Ivan's arrival. This may well have thrown all his plans into turmoil (as it did with everything else here!)
There are quite a few of us still here who can help you out with info if you need it so just let us know!

Good luck,
CJ

Yeah, sure. The local denizens are a reasonably friendly lot. Not too hard to make friends.

Hurricane Ivan really rearranged the lawn chairs, to put it mildly. Apartment & condo rents have gone up as have the price of used cars. Be very mindful of hurricane damaged cars, and possibly consider having something shipped to the island.

The only change that really surprised me was when I went to arrange a phone at my new place. Cable & Wireless said I did not need to put down any deposit so long as I paid via direct debit.

Thanks for responding CJ! I have a few questions for you if you dont mind. I know very few poeple there in Cayman, just a few business associates. How easy is it to meet people? I am single and am worried that I wont find people to hang out with. What is your opinion on this? Also, do you know where I can find apartment and rental listings online? What can I expect to pay for electricity? cell phone? water? car insurance? I wouldnt expect that you have specific information, but any general comments you have would help or if you have any advice on where to look online for this information. I heard that finding places to live could be difficult right now, what would be the best way to go about this? Thank you for anything and everything that you can provide. -- Jacque

CJ's:
Hi Jaqueline,
I'm not sure if Ryan ever made it down here! His post was from back in August last year, just a few weeks prior to Hurricane Ivan's arrival. This may well have thrown all his plans into turmoil (as it did with everything else here!)
There are quite a few of us still here who can help you out with info if you need it so just let us know!

Good luck,
CJ

Hi Drew the Sailbum! Thank you for responding. Are there very many singles out there? Im single, and one concern I have is meeting people? What is your opinion on this? Also, I will be brining my dog. I think he will adjust well, but wanted to ask if many people have dogs and if they are welcomed there (that is, are there parks and such to talk them to for exercise? are there leash laws? etc). Also, I am trying to figure out costs of things: electricity, mobile phone, car insurance, water, etc. Can you enlighten me on what to expect to pay? Or where I can find out online? Also, I heard that finding a place to live might be pretty tricky considering the mark that Ivan left. Any advice on where to look? Thank you so much. Any other advice that you have would be greatly appreciated. -- Jacque

Drew Sailbum:
Yeah, sure. The local denizens are a reasonably friendly lot. Not too hard to make friends.

Hurricane Ivan really rearranged the lawn chairs, to put it mildly. Apartment & condo rents have gone up as have the price of used cars. Be very mindful of hurricane damaged cars, and possibly consider having something shipped to the island.

The only change that really surprised me was when I went to arrange a phone at my new place. Cable & Wireless said I did not need to put down any deposit so long as I paid via direct debit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom