Moving down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I may have a job offer in Davie, FL. I think it is near Ft. Lauderdale. Are there any SBer's who can tell me about the diving down there? I'm coming from the land of the NC Wreck Divers, a totally different SCUBA world. I'm pretty excited about the change!

OBXDIVEGUY:
I may have a job offer in Davie, FL...SNIP
Hey, great - you'll love it here, where the diving is pretty much year-round and frequent. Welcome.

Davie is just south of Fort Lauderdale, and you have great shore diving just a few miles east in Hollywood/Dania or up northeast in Lauderdale by the Sea ("LBTS"). LBTS is regarded as the "shore dive capital of the US" but by no means much better than other Broward County shore diving.

We also have wrecks & reefs with plenty of good operators to take you to them.

Of course, you can reach Key Largo in just a couple of hours for *very* excellent diving - lots of great wrecks and clearwater reefs.

Scubaboard is active down here, and you'll find numerous opportunities to dive with us - in fact, you may even get sick of us!

A couple things to think about now that you're coming down is that living near or even on the beach is possible, depending on your family needs. Also, kayak diving is getting more and more popular.

Just browse the past threads here and in the trips subforum to get an idea of how much diving we do.

Come on down! We'll make you feel right at home!

OBXDIVEGUY:
I may have a job offer in Davie, FL.
A "job offer" or a "change of station"?

OBXDIVEGUY:
I may have a job offer in Davie, FL. I think it is near Ft. Lauderdale. Are there any SBer's who can tell me about the diving down there? I'm coming from the land of the NC Wreck Divers, a totally different SCUBA world. I'm pretty excited about the change!

If you can take the heat GO!! Man tons of conchs close to you,
You can dive year round till your body thermostat re-set's to Florida temps,then after November you will dive dry or put the 7mm on!
You will love the waters warm,gin clear,and the locals a GREAT BUNCH of folks!
have fun!
Brad

OBXDIVEGUY:
Are there any SBer's who can tell me about the diving down there?

you'll love it. plus, you'll be an easy drive away from great Key Largo diving

Wow! Thanks for the great info. It will be such a change from wearing 14mil in the middle of summer here. I'm pretty excited! I'm so glad to hear about the shore diving. I feel so lucky that I have a few great places pretty much at my back door I can swim to now, it would be hard to give that up!

Cornfed, it is an offer with a civilian firm. I'm proud of the time I've served, but it is time for me to move on.

Does anyone know if there are any volunteer firefighter or EMS opportunities down there? From what I've dug up, everything seems to be fully paid departments.

OBXDIVEGUY:
Does anyone know if there are any volunteer firefighter or EMS opportunities down there? From what I've dug up, everything seems to be fully paid departments.
I don't know of any but you can probably find something. When I first moved to Maryland I was living in Howard County. I was having trouble finding a station to volunteer at. I called the county and asked about volunteering. As it turns out Howard county is mostly paid and has vey few volunteer stations. However, the county has a volunteer program. It's different then I'm sure things are for you now in Duck but you still get to ride fire trucks and that's the important thing. I keep looking and found more traditional volunteer station which is where I joined.

Basically, that's a long winded way of saying... keep looking, you'll find something!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom