Mouthpiece options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete, You have one on both second stages? A couple years ago during a Rescue Class we had a lady with one on her reg and found when reviewing air sharing that some of the students couldn't use it. It caused a couple to gag and one teenager couldn't even seal the mouthpiece to breath off it. One of the other students also had one that everyone could use though not very comfortable. Seems like a crapshoot if the diver was already borderline panicking to make it more difficult/uncomfortable for them. ( sorry this was hard to write just because of how it sounds)

A friend wanted me to try out her BCD at the end of a pool session. She had plenty of air left, so just gave me her whole rig. She has one of those moldable mouthpieces, and it made me repeatedly gag. After trying for about 5 minutes, I had enough. It was just too big. I have an extremely strong gag reflex that is triggered by the dentist. I've found the Aqualung Comfobite doesn't set it off (good thing I have AL regs!). I even got an AL snorkel for the Comfobite mouthpiece.

A friend wanted me to try out her BCD at the end of a pool session. She had plenty of air left, so just gave me her whole rig. She has one of those moldable mouthpieces, and it made me repeatedly gag. After trying for about 5 minutes, I had enough. It was just too big. I have an extremely strong gag reflex that is triggered by the dentist. I've found the Aqualung Comfobite doesn't set it off (good thing I have AL regs!). I even got an AL snorkel for the Comfobite mouthpiece.
The moldable ones will be super uncomfy for someone that it's not made for. One option is to cut your own moldable one shorter before you mold. I can see why someone would gag on it because if the long wings where they go far back.

No contest. Seacure here. I love it. No jaw fatigue and my teeth don't feel all out of place after a long dive! lol

So I'm pretty sold on the Seacure then. Just need to find an online retailer for shipping to Oz, couldn't find the size 4 (Apeks) on the auction site.

Back
Top Bottom