Moustaches and mask flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My husband will be embarking on the OW course with me. He has been considering diving for quite some time now, but his concern has been the fact that he has a rather luxuriant moustache and fears that, short of wearing a full-face mask, he will be unable to keep the mask sealed.

Are there any generously moustachioed/bearded divers out there who can shed some light on this?

I had to trim mine down. The thicker and courser the hair the bigger the problem. You may be able to find a mask that will seal right around the bottom of the nose therfore you wont have much of a problem.

I have seen divers use vaseline petroleum jelly to help make a seal.

If he loves diving like the rest of us soon facial hair wont matter much.

In my bearded days I would shave a narrow strip immediately under my nose, which really didn't affect my moustache very much. My mask sealed perectly. Small price to pay for diving, IMHO.

In my bearded days I would shave a narrow strip immediately under my nose, which really didn't affect my moustache very much. My mask sealed perectly. Small price to pay for diving, IMHO.

I do the same and my mask seals great.

When I had a moustach I found that sliding my mask strap fairly high on the back of my head helped with some of the leaking. I never got to enjoy a true mask seal where I idi not have to frequently clera the mask untill I shaved the "stach off (in fact, that is why I shaved it off, to the dismay of my wife).

Last edited:
I have had a full beard almost since my first dive, although in '70 it was pretty thin, and didn't effect the seal much back then. 40 years down the road, I shave a narrow strip just below my nose, and get a very good seal.

I have a sunscreen speedstick I found a few years ago, and keep it in my dive bag. In dive sites like Bonaire where I am doing 4, 5, 6 tanks throughout the day, as the "5 o'clock shadow" occasionally becomes an issue, I may run that speed stick around the seal between dives.

i had a full "orange county choppers" one and a frameless mask work well. even at extreme depths

i had a full "orange county choppers" one and a frameless mask work well. even at extreme depths

Oh? That's interesting. My husband's is the handlebar variety...quite full (although not a Jimmy Edwards, I hasten to add!) so not sure how the 'trimming' will affect the overall shape and look of it.

For those of you who don't know who Jimmy Edwards is
:Google Image Result for http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/data/586/178597.jpg

My dive buddy shaves a strip under his nose. Another guy I dive with uses wax on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom