Mounting tanks upside down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by budgy
I saw an article about inverted twin sets some time ago and I thought that there might be some advantages

swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts... re-read the comments in this thread for details...

having said that, there is one known good reason to mount the tanks valves-down ...... it starts when the diver is also an avid motorbiker, then has a nasty fall on the circuit....

Inverted tanks have been used over the years. Even today, you can buy special brackets to protect the valving of inverted tanks.

The old Scott Hydropac from the 50's had inverted tanks, and 2nd stg regulator mounted on a full face mask, in other words, the first single hose regulator. The design was an adaption of the fireman's airpac, made by Scott of course. Then, there was USD's USD-1 made in the early 70's. It used inverted triple tanks inside a plastic fairing. The shut off and reserve could be reached as easy as your back pocket. Going back to the beginning, Cousteau's team used triples which, although not inverted, had reserve valves mounted on the bottom of double ended triple tanks. The BSAC divers from the 50's used inverted tanks and a double hose regulator mounted on the chest. There is the current production AGA Divator which uses inverted 4400 psi tanks, etc. They've been around since the early days. There are others.

Inversion could be the second cogent argument for the DIN valve. A DIN would stand up better to being banged on deck. The first argument had to do with being banged on an overhead. Same difference.

Raising these questions might rouse some DIR guys to get stroke conflicted. They know what they know. What can you say to someone who wraps a 7 foot hose around their neck? They might try to wrap it around MY neck.

Definatley NOT a good idea if you are using rented tanks though. If the valve stem is snapped and the tank is inverted you greatly increase your chances of inhalation of aluminum-oxide which can poison and kill you.

Remember folks to always give your rental tanka shake. If it rattles don't make head first ascents or invert tank. Preferably, request from the shop they provide a different tank.

SpyderTek

Obviously valve/ reg, guards are an essential fitting, if you want to rig your tanks this way. I dive in winter and have had free flows filling lift bags or smb's in cold water, they could only be stopped by turning off the tank. I have known of divers enter the water with tanks turned off, sometimes with fatal consequence. For those reasons I have considered that inverting a single tank, may be a safer and perhaps better system. I haven't tried it, but in time I may get around to it.

Originally posted by budgy
I have known of divers enter the water with tanks turned off, sometimes with fatal consequence. For those reasons I have considered that inverting a single tank, may be a safer and perhaps better system. I haven't tried it, but in time I may get around to it.
Many folk...especially wearing a BC jacket and a single tank cannot reach their valve to turn it on.... I can reach my valves with my single and bp/wing but usually I dive with doubles (twin 104s) and can reach not only my tank valves but the isolator as well. Actually I can reach the valves much easier with the doubles than the single.

If you cant reach your valve...isn't that what the Donning and Doffing of your BC skills they taught over and over again FOR? Can't reach your valve. Just take off your BC, Fix valve, replace BC.

If time, adjust height of tank on BC so that you WILL be able to reach it later.

SpyderTek

Originally posted by SpyderTek
If you cant reach your valve...isn't that what the Donning and Doffing of your BC skills they taught over and over again FOR? Can't reach your valve. Just take off your BC, Fix valve, replace BC.

If time, adjust height of tank on BC so that you WILL be able to reach it later.

SpyderTek

Hmmmmm :think:

Why was I under the impression that when one needs to reach a valve... one is in a hurry....

And I wont even try to imagine adjusting the position of a typical twinset underwater...:jester:

Being able to reach your valves is a very good idea. It's sort of silly to have manifolded doubles or a single with an H valve and not be able to reach the valves. I can reach mine, easy.

In commercial diving we generally use an AL80 as a bailout bottle. We mount it valve down so that the first stage doesn't bang against the back of the helmet.

I like the valve up mounting for rec diving. It just makes setup easier. I am also used to reaching over my right shoulder to find the hose to recover a lost second stage. I like the 'reach back to the first stage, grab the hose, extend the arm' method of recovering the second stage better than the arm sweep.

michael

There is another reason mounting tanks upside down may not be desirable. At your dive shop, they set the intermediate pressure for optimum performance. This is done in air. The air pressure difference is so slight between the top and the bottom of an inverted reglator it would be unnoticable on the surface. Not so in the water. We have all expericed the phenomenon that occurs when we roll onto our backs. It becomes harder to breathe. Mounting the first stage nearly
three feet below the second stage would create approximately a 10% increase in the work of breathing on shallow dives (33 ft). You would have to readjust the intermediate pressure to compensate for this. This is only possible with a diaphragm type regulator. Piston regs are pretty much preset with any changes done by the removal or addition of "shims" within the first stage. This is something you can't do on the boat.

As you got deeper, the percent difference between the second stage and the inverted first stage would be less so breathing would become easier as you decended. It make a heck of a lot more sense to have the first and second stages adjusted at the recommended intermediate pressure for that particular reg.

Remember your first scuba lessons. It was usually pointed out that the first and second stages of you reg were at approximately the SAME level.

Larry Stein DDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom