Mounting tanks upside down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure if this should be in another section. If it should please feel free to move it.

I was wondering if roll of on an overhead dive is a concern why not mount the tanks upside down so the regs are more protected.
This could also be done in rec. diving.

The only reasons I could come up with are hose routing and the risk of reg damage when you take your rig off if you aren't careful when setting it down.

What am I missing?

Chad

Originally posted by ckharlan66
The only reasons I could come up with are hose routing and the risk of reg damage when you take your rig off if you aren't careful when setting it down.
You say this like these reasons aren't enough.

Can you say "Mission control, we have a launch!"?

Roak

roakey,

I said it that way because they were just guesses.

Are you referring to a lauch when you set the tank down on the reg? Which with a little care should be easy to avoid. Or are you referring to if a reg blows under water? Wouldn't this be the same problem reguardless of the direction the tank is mounted>

Thanks for the input.

Chad

Hi Chad,
Reach between your legs and grab your belt behind you....
If you can do that then reaching your isolator should be a piece of cake...
Problem is... when a valve or reg starts to leak in won't be up there near your head so you won't be able to tell by sound which one to shut down...
Oh well... can't have everything. :wink:

That makes sense as does roakey's post. The idea just occured to me and I thought I would throw it out there. I love having this board to answer these types of questions.

Thanks guys for the input.

Chad

BTW

Reach between my legs and grab.....nevermind.

Chad

Actually, that configuration has been used over the years and was still used by Cousteau's divers the last I heard.

Originally posted by Walter
Actually, that configuration has been used over the years and was still used by Cousteau's divers the last I heard.
Walter...
Is that a recommendation as to why upside down should be used or another negative to add to the list?

Merely a point to ponder. I never adopt or reject a method of doing anything merely because someone else (regardless of how well respected) does it that way. I see advantages and disadvantages. The valves are much easier to reach when reversed, but there is the problem of doffing unassisted.

I saw an article about inverted twin sets some time ago and I thought that there might be some advantages. Is there anyone who hasn't put a cylinder on his back that wasn't turned on? http://www.divernet.com/gear/invert1198.htm I think there may be some things you would have to re-learn, like how would you recover a dropped 2nd stage. I think I would like to try it and evaluate it.

Back
Top Bottom