Motorcycling and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItMustBeJames:
This included BCD bladders that separate from a back-plate, hard cases that have storage for each piece of gear, etc. They recommended that I get a little more experience before using these products (the BCD in particular), but I figure it’s never too early to read up on them.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I found this a little frustrating.
I am assuming you are talking about a BP/W configuration (BCD bladders that separate from a back-plate).
Why on earth would a store recommend you get some experience before using that? Contrary to what most new divers believe, the BP/W configuration is NOT just for tech divers. Even new divers can use it! It works the same as a regular BCD (with minor exceptions), only it's a lot more streamlined and simplistic.

Unfortunately, the answer lies in money. It is a LOT cheaper to get a BP/W configuration than a POS BCD, so of course they want to sell you the BCD :shakehead

Oh well... It is good you have joined this forum. ALWAYS research before you buy anything from a LDS. Some of them just want to rip you off.

That's why I love working for an independent instructor... no LDS BS. Teach for the love of the sport, not the money!

Years ago, when I didn't have a choice, I rode a Honda CL 350 to dive. I had twin 38 tanks that were short enough that I could sit without them touching the seat, wore my weights around my waist, all the rest of my gear was in a seabag strapped to the back of the seat. Very uncomfortable, but I probably did a dozen trips like this until I could afford 4 wheels, (when I upgraded to a very spacious MGB).

fasorud:
Why on earth would a store recommend you get some experience before using that? Contrary to what most new divers believe, the BP/W configuration is NOT just for tech divers. Even new divers can use it!
Unfortunately, the answer lies in money. It is a LOT cheaper to get a BP/W configuration than a POS BCD, so of course they want to sell you the BCD :shakehead
Oh well... It is good you have joined this forum. ALWAYS research before you buy anything from a LDS. Some of them just want to rip you off.
It was a strange conversation with the LDS. It was about a year ago and the guy mentioned that they could special order them and had one for rent. At this time I didn't own my own gear, so I asked him about renting it. He said he wouldn't rent it to anyone until they had a 30 - 40 dives under their belt. I thought it was odd too, but being a noobie, I figured he knew more than I did.

And yes, I did end up buying my BCD from them. =) They're a generally good shop; I just didn't do that all-important research first. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the welcome. This looks like a great place. Ironically, that same LDS recommended that I join here to learn about Cozumel and pick up good tips from guys like you!

jphdiver:
Years ago, when I didn't have a choice, I rode a Honda CL 350 to dive. I had twin 38 tanks that were short enough that I could sit without them touching the seat, wore my weights around my waist, all the rest of my gear was in a seabag strapped to the back of the seat. Very uncomfortable, but I probably did a dozen trips like this until I could afford 4 wheels, (when I upgraded to a very spacious MGB).

When I did my OW cert dives, I rode my SV to my buddy's house a couple of times wearing my gear bag like a backpack (handles around my shoulders). He had picked up the tanks and it was a nice day, so I thought it'd be fun to ride. It was pretty good, but the wind resistance was definetly noticeable and if I'd wrecked, my gear would have gone down hard since it wasn't in hard cases.

I knew a guy who had a piece of crap AMF Harley and would put most of his gear into the fiberglass sidebags and wear twin 72's on his back. Dry grear was in a duffel either straped infront of the bars or across the back. One time he even had his dive mask on instead of glasses.

It was quite a sight to see him on I-95 heading to Point Judith RI. I don't know what was a bigger danger - getting into a slide with tanks straped on or cars hitting him as the divers looked to see what the Hel* he had on the bike.

Of course diver gear never came near his "Good" Harley.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom