Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interesting question.

I do both....

considering the bs MC riders have to deal with (cagers), I'd have to say that SCUBA is safer.

As an avid motorcyclist for +12 years now, I agree.

I used to drive motorcycles, did some dirt bike races in early days, then drove a street bike for a while too (but never a harley :) and I would say diving is safer then riding a bike on the streets. So far I haven't seen a diving accident that would be caused by some random diver bumping into another. On the bike you can be the best rider, but how about the others on the road? Bikes, cars, trucks!!!

Depends on a lot of things: where you live, how often do you use the boat, etc.
But if you can ONLY choose one, I would say buy the Harley. You can always find a boat going to a dive site, or even rent one. It's a lot harder to find a ride on a Harley or rent one.
Best of luck and have fun doing both (or either)
lfshadow

I have been both riding motorcycles (mostly Harley"s) and diving since 1975. I feel that most types of scuba diving are safer per hour than riding. I do feel that some types of diving (such as saturation, or deep trimix) may be more dangerous than average street riding. You could also choke to death on a pretzel while sitting on your couch. I leave it to you to do your own risk benefit analysis.

One other thing, I have alway thought that people who encourage people to motorcycle so that they can be organ donors are AS-HOLES.

Depends on a lot of things: where you live, how often do you use the boat, etc.
But if you can ONLY choose one, I would say buy the Harley. You can always find a boat going to a dive site, or even rent one. It's a lot harder to find a ride on a Harley or rent one.
Best of luck and have fun doing both (or either)
lfshadow

Obviously being a late comer to this thread, I would tend to agree with the Shadow. As I do both, riding and diving are the way to go! :D

As lfshadow said, which is safer depands on a lot of things. I would never ride a motorcycle. Moped was my choice. But that's me. I don't think statistics can be used at all. As one post said, he rides his bike daily and of course, doesn't dive daily. One must also consider how many people are on motorcycles in say, the U.S. at any given point in time compared to how many are diving at that time. Impossible to calculate which is safer.

SCUBA is the only choice there... boating not motorcycling is the way...

I do both- I wish i could dive on my bike :p

I'd say scuba is safer- whens the last time a fish hit you at 85mph sending you skidding on the sea floor into a pier?

of course i've never heard of anyone drowning on a bike so it evens out i guess, but my poor humor aside, i think scuba is much safer

Back
Top Bottom