Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(insert here, my 2 cents...) :thinking:

The choice (and it is a choice) is dependent on the "end user". Having done the military thing :mil-usa: :mil-usn: for the better part of 24 years, Risk Management (another definition for the planned activity of arm-chair quarterbacking) is only as good as the "end user" utilizing it.

Knowledge, in and of your chosen vice, is the key to, 1) enjoying it, and 2) surviving it. :scared:

Boating has it's own issues. Boats can crash, sink, burn, etc, IF the "end user" isn't paying attention. They are also at the mercy of the other "end user" who isn't paying attention because of much the same issues "cagers" have. They just ain't payin' attention...

Motorcycling is the same.

Scuba CAN be the same way. Scuba divers have been hit by cars on their way to diving. (i don't have proof of this, but it falls within the same lines... :D)
Scuba divers have been hit by boats while diving (sorry, didn't see the diver down flag:dork2:)

I am in agreement with many of you. Again, I would agree with the shadow. Location and usage would be the key things to look at if I were looking at it. And being the way I am, I would look for what serves my needs, wishes and wants the best. Or, as the sign says, "He who dies with the most toys, is still dead." :doh:

Hope to see ALL of you out there somewhere, someday.

Dive, ride, fly, jump, drive, fall, shoot, cook, sew, think... safe! :wink:

Bike: it is way safer if you ride a roadking than a Ninja.
Scuba ... The chance that you are hit by another diver swimming much faster and forget to give you the right of way and then kill you is pretty low.
Bottom line: if you are the safest easy-rider, with highest concentration, you will always have risk to get hurt by someone else. For scuba, if you stay within your limit and keep the same concentration, you are much safer for sure.

I see one exception where bike is safer: after a heavy dinner with whisky, wine, and cognac at end, you have a better chance at night to get back home (no cops on the way), than getting in the water for a night dive.

Ok, what's the safest hobby? Motorcycle or SCUBA? I have an opportunity to trade my boat for a Harley.

Which is safer? Why? Are you just going to do one or the other? I would hope you'd be the safest you could be whichever you do…diving, riding a bike or anything else. I used to have a picture of an old man and woman sitting in their living room reading and watching TV. The caption read "How not to get killed in a motorcycle accident," but you could change it to anything….diving, boating, skydiving, whatever. I've been diving for over 10 years, didn't start riding a bike until 3 years ago…..40,000 miles later and still riding. Between the dive trips and motorcycle trips I need more vacation time! I would, however, take a look at Victory motorcycles :D
I think we've been to 23 states so far on the bikes.

A friend of ours had a teenage son who said he wanted to buy a motorcycle. His Dad said he would let him buy a motorcycle in one week, if he agreed to one condition. The son readily agreed. The father's condition was that every day for the next week the father and son went to the hospital to visit patients who had been in motorcycle accidents. By the end of the week, the son was no longer interested in motorcycles.

interesting question.

I do both....

considering the bs MC riders have to deal with (cagers), I'd have to say that SCUBA is safer.
I agree. Matter of fact, I began both about the same time. If you have never ridden before I recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

(insert here, my 2 cents...) :thinking:

The choice (and it is a choice) is dependent on the "end user". Having done the military thing :mil-usa: :mil-usn: for the better part of 24 years, Risk Management (another definition for the planned activity of arm-chair quarterbacking) is only as good as the "end user" utilizing it.

Knowledge, in and of your chosen vice, is the key to, 1) enjoying it, and 2) surviving it. :scared:

Boating has it's own issues. Boats can crash, sink, burn, etc, IF the "end user" isn't paying attention. They are also at the mercy of the other "end user" who isn't paying attention because of much the same issues "cagers" have. They just ain't payin' attention...

Motorcycling is the same.

Scuba CAN be the same way. Scuba divers have been hit by cars on their way to diving. (i don't have proof of this, but it falls within the same lines... :D)
Scuba divers have been hit by boats while diving (sorry, didn't see the diver down flag:dork2:)

I am in agreement with many of you. Again, I would agree with the shadow. Location and usage would be the key things to look at if I were looking at it. And being the way I am, I would look for what serves my needs, wishes and wants the best. Or, as the sign says, "He who dies with the most toys, is still dead." :doh:

Hope to see ALL of you out there somewhere, someday.

Dive, ride, fly, jump, drive, fall, shoot, cook, sew, think... safe! :wink:
Thank you for your service to our great country. I appreciate you keeping me and my family safe and FREE.

Both are to a large degree "adjustable risk" sports. How risky each is depends to a great extent on how aggressively you ride or dive.

Personally, having done both and being a bit of a control freak when it comes to "risk taking" i regard Cave Diving as being far safer than motorcycle riding.

In cave diving, short of an extremely rare geologic event, I have control over the things that can go wrong and I am highly trained to deal with the things that do go wrong. For example, even if a reg fails, I have a back up and I am highly trained to deal with zero viz, lost line emergencies, etc.

In motorcycle riding, the hazards are largely environmental and are far less predictable, even with excellent defensive riding skills, you are still a target for other traffic so there is a much larger element of chance involved. And blind chance = risk.

Been riding and diving for last 39 years. Diving has yet to put me in a hospital.
I deliberately do take fewer risks uw, which is partially the reason, but road riding has potential hazzards around every turn, and even if another DIVER should slam into me head on I don't expect it to be life threatening!
Don't expect to waste too much time worrying about the risks at this late date, or quit doing either!

yo

I do both and love both

greetings
Matt

Ok, what's the safest hobby? Motorcycle or SCUBA? I have an opportunity to trade my boat for a Harley.

Looking for the safest activity when it comes to diving or riding (or a few other activities) is in a way, similar to ask which one is cheaper.

I don't want to get into the what would "real" riders/divers do, because it turns on the defensive mode, and it isn't my intention.

With that said, would you stop diving if you give up the boat? I know many people dive for a while and then stop diving... I don't understand it but it happens. If you can say to yourself
..... hmmmm I don't need to keep diving if I have a Harley.

Then go ahead and make the trade.

On a parallel note, if you have ride motorcycles before and those 2 wheels moved your soul, how come you don't have a bike now. Again I don't understand it but know it does happen.

You make your diving as safe as you can; same with motorcycles.

Headlines are very dramatic when it comes to bikers, I don't care for the Harley philosophy, but even with them, you find safe riders that engage their brains when they ride and take full advantage of their passion without leaving their gray matter in the asphalt.

I'm only into diving, the day I can't scuba dive the way I do now I'll adjust to different parameters even if it means to just hang in the surface. If I have eyesight I'll look down if not, then just feeling the water around me will have to do.
The only thing that limits my diving is going to tracks to see my son ride his bikes. I can tell when he's been riding and when he's not.

As far as Harleys, I mentioned I don't understand them (the bikes or the riders) But I do understand that just like a diver can't have just one set of fins, one regulator, one suit or one set of tanks. How can a rider have just one bike?
Is crazy to take a street bike to a track, and how can you not go to a track? How can you get good controlling a bike at high speed riding streets and highways only?

Continuing on the safety note, it is a lot safer to ride a bike with the proper knowledge and gear than diving without proper knowledge and the wrong attitude even if it is a supposedly easy dive.

When your requirement for sanity requires riding a bike, your garage will look like the one below, the brands, colors and quantities will vary with time but the main concept is there. My son has that requirements, I see the spark inside his eyes when he removes the helmet after a magnificent session, he claims I look the same when I climb up in the boat and remove my mask.
Some activities become much more than just a hobby

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 45
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom