Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking as somebody who likes to wear tight leather suits as much as tight neoprene wets suits, I'd have to go with scuba being safer. Sadly, my evidence is based on a greater number of deaths amongst a smaller number of motorcycling friends than with diving.

As you can see from the pic I'm more of a track addict than a cruiser, but part of the thrill of my motorcyling hobby (and definitely hobby as well as transport) is riding so close to the edge that mere milliseconds of error is enough to smear you across the next available tree.

Obviously road riding is different, but the roads one is subject to the vagaries of human uselessness in a way that is almost never present in diving. I consider track riding to be a reasonably extreme form of sport. I consider road riding risky. I consider that diving has obvious risks, but it's about as extreme as watching TV.

Safe riding and diving,

C.

Attachments

• nogarosb.jpg
    nogarosb.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 63
The driver of the car that hit me later said he never saw me. That's not unusual in bike/car accidents. Bikes are just invisible to some drivers.

The driver of the car that hit me later said he never saw me. That's not unusual in bike/car accidents. Bikes are just invisible to some drivers.

That's why you gotta wear something like I do:

l_e690ec332f82463daad0bf7cf7fa2355.jpg

Tell me you can't see me now!!

Peace,
Greg

scuba, you dont have to buy a truck to pick up your scuba gear when it breaks down

Yes, but I don't use American scuba gear :wink: Can you get HD dive kit? Imagine having a Harley branded bpw - there's got to be a joke there about flying pigs.

If I had to make a choice, I'd give up diving rather than motorcycling, but safety would have very little to do with the decision.

Remember don’t were wear a helmet. Also run with scissors don’t chew your food good. Smoke as much as you want. People like me need job security :D

Hi,
I DID both diving (for 10 years) and riding (for 35 years) .... until I crashed my sparkling new Ducati 1198S on Angels Crest Highway last May (see my story here).

Now I am slowly recovering and looking forward to dive again in a month or so (but first I have to rebuild my muscles).

Regarding riding again, my wife said NO MORE! .... but, it is in my blood ... and one day I WILL ride again :wink:

I think that for both activities it is important to: a) be in shape for it, and b) stay within your limits .... when you don't, then nasty things WILL happen. I have the scars to prove it :depressed:

Also, when your "inner voice" tells you "today is NOT the day" .... listen to it !
Alberto

The riskiest activity never makes the list. Couch potato. Inactivity is a greater risk to life and health than almost any sports-recreational thing listed. Yes, we see some big riders that remind us that a motorcycle is not a health club. Aside from that, going out and doing something, anything, is better for you than snacks and TV.

Have fun with it.

I've been riding motorcycles for about 22 years (on bike #13, lucky 13?) and diving for about 10 (with a huge like 8 year break in the middle, haha).

I will say to the grave motorcycles are far more dangerous. Yes, you can easily die in scuba if you do not prepare yourself, however it takes a lot more effort to get you in a situation where your life is threatened.

You can pull out of your driveway in full protective gear on a bike and die to a cager.

I do both, what are my chances of living to 40 (this Tuesday, haha)? :D

Bikes. You have virtually complete control of the dive. If you die diving it is likely 100% your fault unless some speargunner impales you or you screw with an animal and have a freak accident.

When riding you are one (insert your own stereotypical bad driver here) in a mini van away from death, or maybe worse, paralysis.

I am an expert WERA and CCS roadracer, street rider for 20 years, AMA motocrosser, and 2 years ago I broke my back in 2 places, (my fault - riding WFO under some power lines and hit a hidden ravine at 60+ on a DR-Z). Diving can get my heart rate up, but it is not roulette in any sense of the word. With bikes your last breath could be around the next curve and there is not a single thing besides parking it that you can do about it. I ride anyway, but don't kid yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom