Motionsick...should I liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said "temporary glaucoma" and I know what glaucoma is .

It's not glaucoma unless there is damage to the optic nerve. The package insert was referring to the possibility of the pupil dilating so much that it causes a pupillary block which would be the acute, closed angle form of glaucoma, symptoms include severe pain, permanent vision loss and damage to the optic nerve.This is not consistent with the symptoms you reported in your post, although you may be more prone to this condition because of your genetic makeup, which results in the anterior chamber of the eyeball being somewhat flat. Odds are that your family members who are so afflicted wear glasses to correct farsightedness (lenses are thicker in the middle and magnify) due to the flat shape of the eyeball, and perhaps you do as well.

Scop has a long list of serious side effects. In the UK and former colonies you can still buy it OTC under brand names like Kwells, about $5 for a dozen pills. And it is incredibly effective BUT anyone trying ti for the first time, should consult their doctor wrt heart, eye pressure, possible hallucinations, and other real issues. And if the doctor says yes, try it AT HOME on dry land with adult supervision, just in case you react badly.

Compazine (by mouth or enema) and a couple of other meds are supposed to be nearly as effective. Sturgeron (cinnazarine) works very well for some, and is useless for others. But that's OTC in Canada and not sold in the US.

Something most people foolishly ignore is the electric Relief Band. They work. They are FDA approved against morning sickness. They must be positioned properly, and they are not waterproof, so it has to come off before you dive and back on after you surface. (BFD.) But they work, and you can turn them on and off like a light bulb.

Very rare for seasickness to last more than 3 days and nights, so a week long liveaboard even without meds means you may want to die for three days and nights, but if you survive you should be fine for the last four days. And yes, seasickness can actually kill. Repeated hard vomiting can actually tear the esophagus and cause fatal internal bleeding.

The OP needs to do some serious investigation into remedies, or risk being medevac'd from a dive boat and incurring a whole world of expenses.

It's not glaucoma regardless of what the package insert might have said. It's not glaucoma unless there is damage to the optic nerve. Perhaps the package was referring to the possibility of the pupil dilating so much that it causes a pupillary block which would in fact be a closed angle form of glaucoma, which would cause severe pain and vision loss and permanent damage to your eyes with reduced best correctable vision that would be present permanently.

You may be more prone to this condition because of your genetic makeup, which results in the anterior chamber of the eyeball being somewhat flat. Odds are that your family members who are so afflicted wear glasses to correct farsightedness due to the flat shape of the eyeball, and perhaps you do as well. The narrow anterior chamber is prone to becoming blocked by a dilated pupil and the "ruffles" that are formed when the pupil opens fully. You may very well develop glaucoma at some point in your life but based on your posts here that is not the case at the present time and the symptoms you experienced while taking the medication are not indicative of a closed narrow angle glaucoma attack.

I never said that it gave me glaucoma or damaged my optic nerve. I said "temporary" and "symptoms of". The information below is from the drug information for the Transderm Scop Patch and it is consistent with my statement.

"Patients should be advised to remove the patch immediately and promptly contact a physician in the event that they experience symptoms of acute angle closure glaucoma"

And no, none of my family members have worn glasses for farsightedness and neither do I.

As someone with glaucoma, all of this is very good to know.

I never said that it gave me glaucoma or damaged my optic nerve. I said "temporary" and "symptoms of".

I maintain that you didn't get "temporary" glaucoma, and you didn't have an angle closure attack. Your symptoms (blurred near vision) are inconsistent with either scenario and if you are not farsighted the odds of you having an angle closure attack due to the pupils becoming excessively dilated are next to none.

When I read your earlier post to double check your reported symptoms I reread this part here:

I have permanent floaters in my eyes because of pressure buildup after mixing the recommended doses of motion sickness with my usual anti-histamine allergy med

Permanent floaters have nothing to do with high eye pressure.

...//... Motion sickness is such a nasty condition, I can't understand why some folks think that it is so funny. ...
The only med that I know of that works once one becomes seasick is Promethazine. It puts you to sleep, though. However, it sounds perfect for an end of day LOB. 12.5 mg tabs.

I use half-tabs of Promethazine with a little red (REAL) pseudoephedrine tab to keep me settled and awake while diving boats. If it is starting to fall apart, then I take the other half...

I maintain that you didn't get "temporary" glaucoma, and you didn't have an angle closure attack. Your symptoms (blurred near vision) are inconsistent with either scenario and if you are not farsighted the odds of you having an angle closure attack due to the pupils becoming excessively dilated are next to none.

When I read your earlier post to double check your reported symptoms I reread this part here:

Permanent floaters have nothing to do with high eye pressure.

Those were 2 separate incidents. I got the floaters after taking seasickness pills on a LOB while also taking anti-histamines for allergies and my ophthalmologist told me that the drugs are similar and the combination caused the creation of permanent floaters.

And when I used the scop patch I didn't have blurred vision I lost my near vision temporarily.

In my moderator's voice:

Let's keep it cool in here please, folks.

To answer the OP’s question, Yes, maybe you should buy a yacht and livaboard, then you could get your sea legs and only feel unstable on land, like Popeye The Sailor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom