Motionsick...should I liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The general view is that you would acclimatise. However, how long it will take for any individual is a variable.

Ultimately, you will have to determine, if you want to take the risk!

One of my ex dive buddies used to suffer badly from motion sickness. On a live aboard he would always adjust.
His general, solution before getting on any boat, other than a mix of pharmaceutical's, was to eat "Custard Creams" a British biscuit [1]. These did not stop him suffering, "They just tasted the same coming up as going down".

It could be a pain diving with him, even on a really bad dive, if the sea state was poor, we would be in first, and he would stay until he was absolutely sure that everyone else was back on the boat. Even if all we could see was sand, and had to sit on a decompression stop.

Gareth

[1] see Custard cream - Wikipedia

...if the sea state was poor, we would be in first, and he would stay until he was absolutely sure that everyone else was back on the boat...

That doesn't always work for me, I can get badly seasick underwater too if there is a lot of surge. And I can personally vouch that vomiting into your regulator is okay and it does clear!

Motion sickness is such a nasty condition, I can't understand why some folks think that it is so funny.

Be careful about overdoing the pharmaceuticals, I have permanent floaters in my eyes because of pressure buildup after mixing the recommended doses of motion sickness with my usual anti-histamine allergy meds on our first LOB trip from Florida to the Bahamas.

And once on a trip to Cozumel, I tried the Scop patch and developed temporary glaucoma. I couldn't read or see anything up close - and that was really scary! After I removed the patch it took a day for my vision to return to normal, but I am now very conservative and cautious about using motion meds.

Drinking Orange Ginger Mint tea does help settle my stomach when I am a little queasy on a LOB, but I can't keep it down during episodes of full-blown seasickness.

@lord1234 maybe you should first try a liveaboard that stays close to shore and doesn't make a deep water crossing, like the Juliet on St. Croix, to see how you well you handle it and how much you like LOB cruising, before heading to Thailand.

And if your body acclimates after a (miserable) first day, that is better than getting sick on land-based boats day-after-day.

@lord1234 maybe you should first try a liveaboard that stays close to shore and doesn't make a deep water crossing, like the Juliet on St. Croix, to see how you well you handle it and how much you like LOB cruising, before heading to Thailand.

And if your body acclimates after a (miserable) first day, that is better than getting sick on land-based boats day-after-day.

Good suggestion. Another thing to keep in mind is that when I disembark after a liveaboard, I feel like I’m still on a boat for about 2-3 days after. It takes me a little longer to acclimate to land and some people call this being “land sick”. I don’t get sick but I do feeel like I’m rocking and swaying!

I would consult with your doctor on what is suggested meds wise. And as Kathy mentioned, not all drugs work the same way with with people and I would be very careful if you plan to dive while on them. I would also try any drugs at home to see how you would react and handle while on them. Maybe a car ride in the back seat on a winding road is a good test riun?

Everyone is different in what gets to them and has to figure out what works for them, or not. I'm fortunate not to get seasick, but most people I dive with do. Most of these same people consider LOBs desirable enough to deal with it somehow (mostly with the help of the Scop patch.) Meanwhile, I get sent to the bowels of the boat during crossings to get things from their cabins, so they don't have to leave their happy(er) places on the centerline of the sundeck.

A liveaboard may be less of a problem because it's a bigger boat than a day boat, and the acclimatization thing seems to kick in for at least some people. Or it may be worse, because of the type of motion, possibility of long crossings or rougher waters than a day boat might go out in, or simply that you're usually stuck on it for a week or more. At the least, it seems best to figure this out somewhat gradually, like figure out how to deal with the issue on dayboats first, and don't have your first liveaboard be one that's likely to cause you problems. There are liveaboards that are very stable (especially cats) and/or in places where conditions are more likely to be mellow, at least at certain times of the year.

And once on a trip to Cozumel, I tried the Scop patch and developed temporary glaucoma.

No, you developed temporary ocular hypertension. Glaucoma by definition is damage to the optic nerve due to prolonged intraocular pressure that is higher than it can withstand.

Anyone who experiences motion sickness easily that is not remedied by any method has no business being on a boat for a week or more. It just ain't gonna be fun.

No, you developed temporary ocular hypertension. Glaucoma by definition is damage to the optic nerve due to prolonged intraocular pressure that is higher than it can withstand.

I said "temporary glaucoma" and I know what glaucoma is - my Mother had glaucoma during much of her life and my Sister has it now. I have a tendency toward boderline increased pressure in the eyes that can be exacerbated by anti-histamines and motion sickness drugs.

The product insert that came with the scop patch referred to it as symptoms of "narrow-angle glaucoma" and said that it was due to increased pressure inside the eyeballs. I couldn't read it myself at the time but husband read it to me. I removed the patch and my vision returned to normal in about a day - so thankfully it was temporary.

On the boat I was on, someone thought the captain would head for shore just because they were seasick. LOL

A very evil person chanted: "greasy grimy gopher guts." And:" chum those fish."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom