Motion sickness ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had various boats for the last 30 years, here are a few ideas but each person needs to find what works for them.

Non Pill/Patch Things to try:
- avoid boats with poor ventilation behind the cockpit. Sometimes the diesel stink gets sucked into the negative draft, that's a killer.
- Stand in a place where the fresh air hits you in the face
- Do not sit down or even worse lay down, some people feel a little queezy and think they need to sit down, for me that's the worst thing to do
- Tell the captain as soon as the boat stops you want to get into the water, but they might not want to accommodate you because they have a plan they want to follow with setting the anchor etc
- Do last minute trips only on days that the marine forecast is for flat seas
- If the predominant wind is west, then choose a trip that will dive on the "LEE SIDE" of an inland(the east side)
In addition to these very valid suggestions is a very simple one. If you start feeling a little queasy, DO NOT look at anything on the boat. Instead, find something off the boat to look at, even if it is the horizon. Looking on something off the boat makes it easier to focus on that object, and the further away, the better. Trying to focus on something on the boat will only make the nausea worse. Yeah, I know, you have to kit up prior to diving, but on every boat dive I've been on, the captain gives you at least a 10-15 minute warning prior to arriving at the dive site which gives you time to gear up while the boat is still moving. And you've probably heard this before, but it does help.

This, along with some of the other suggestions above, has always kept me from getting seasick. The only time I have ever heaved on a boat was my first time deep sea fishing many years ago on a head boat and it happened to be a rather rough day at sea. Swells were around 8-10 feet but spread out. And the only reason I got sick that day was because everyone around me was throwing up and the sight, sound, and smell finally got to me.

Scopalimine patch side effects for me .. I put one on the night before my first dive. Within 3 hours i get very dizzy...like im drunk. For the first 18 hours or so EXTREME cotton mouth. Most times the patch falls off by the second day so I have to put another one on and go through the whole initial side effect thing again. I do take two ginger caps twice a day... This routine works well for me... just tired of the side effects. One would think I would have this figured out in 44 years of diving....

Have you tried Meclizine?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kwels. Scop (just like the patches) but in tablet form. You can control your dosage more easily and the time between administration and effect is shorter (at least in my experience). The only bummer is that it is not available in the US (or Canada), but it is OTC in England, the EU and Australia. I used to be able to get it from the UK (ebay) but that seems to have closed off. It is still available from Australia. Even with shipping. it is a fraction of the price of the Transderm patch

I use Scopalamine patches for open ocean liveaboard trips. Like some others I cut them in half and the half dose is enough to suppress the sea sickness symptoms. I do get the dry mouth side effect, but otherwise feel pretty normal. I tend to wear the half patch for 2-3 days before replacing. I find if I soap and wash the area behind my ear lobe very carefully, the patches stick well even when diving 3-4 times a day.

Cutting them in half can change the rate of medication delivery.

Best regards,
DDM
Well that is the idea, presumably changes it to less. It would seem to make sense that the same dosage is not right for everyone, and there is plenty of ancedotal evidence to that effect. Always seemed to me like they ought to make these in different sizes/dosages.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kwels. Scop (just like the patches) but in tablet form. You can control your dosage more easily and the time between administration and effect is shorter (at least in my experience). The only bummer is that it is not available in the US (or Canada), but it is OTC in England, the EU and Australia. I used to be able to get it from the UK (ebay) but that seems to have closed off. It is still available from Australia. Even with shipping. it is a fraction of the price of the Transderm patch
I did (Travacalm). I try to once in each of these threads so people know there is another option. They work. Even for people that really get seasick.

I call myself a Barfie Mermaid. I've tossed cookies on at least 1/3 of all my 1500 dives. When I cut Scopalamine patches, the active ingredients tend to ooze out the cut edge. Dry mouth and sleepiness are not fun. What works for me now is 1/2 Bonine the night before and the rest the morning of. I usually board the boat the night before so I don't drive with the drug. I still get a little groggy on the boat home so I experiment with smaller doses. I tried Stergeron but it didn't do anything for me. The behind the ear essential oils sold at West Marine did nothing as well.

I use candied ginger that I make myself. Works for me and others I have given it too. No side effects that I know of.

Ok Ive been diving for years and I love the ocean but it doesnt like me... I have much success using the scopolamine patch but the side effects are dreadful....give me alternatives that actually work for you without putting you in a different demention.......GO......

I hear you on that one! I get horrendously sea sick and drugs really knock me out. I've tried many remedies and drugs. The only ones that work for me are those containing just Hyoscine (or Hyoscine Hydrobromide). I use Kwells. They're non-drowsy and the only sign effect is a dry mouth.

They are exceptionally effective - even in really rough seas with large swells and on small boats.

Reactions: BRT
@Thook you've been at this a while so I'm sure you've tried most things. I prefer original formula Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate). It's inexpensive and you can buy them by the bucket at your local bigbox store. I guess I'm lucky that I don't get the drowsy effect and they are benign enough that I can enjoy myself (imbibe) in moderation without ill effect while dive traveling . I follow the same dosing patterns as others have listed. I take one the night before my first dive or night on a liveaboard, then one each morning as soon as I get up. I use them for both multi-day, land based trips as well as liveaboards. I know they work for me because I can still feel the urge on really "sporty" days, but I never feel bad. In the past without them I've ridden the vomit comet.:vomit: These days as long as I follow the ritual I don't have any problems at all and I can't wait for the next boat ride. :bounce::bounce::bounce: Good luck. All IMHO, YMMV.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom