Motion Sickness Medication ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milehi

Reaction score
I will be doing a wreck dive off the NC coast next month . One of the wrecks is a 2 1/2 hour boat ride to the dive site . I've never been sea sick , but have seen divers that got sick and its not a pretty sight . I'm thinking about taking medication with me . I understand that Scopolamine patches work well but need to be taken 4 hours before getting on the boat . I would prefer to take medication only if needed , maybe compazine or phenergan . How would these medications affect a diver ? I think all say they can cause drowsiness .

Hey all,
I use a product made in New Zealand called "Sea-legs".
An adult takes 2 tablets containing Meclozine Hydrochloride BP 12.5mg. I don't get drowsy with it.The instructions are to take them 1 hour before the journey starts.it was recommended to me by a pharmacist and has worked brilliantly for me.If the water is looking rough than down 2 of those suckers go.Maybe there's an equivalent that you can recommend Bill.
Cheers Ears,
Gasman

Hi milehi,

The medication Greg Somers is referring to has stateside equivalents in prescription "Antivert" and OTC "Bonine." Meclizine hydrochloride is quite effective, and is discussed in my extensive post within the thread hot linked by BillP.

As BillP said, both Compazine & Phenergan are quite sedating. Given the variety of alternatives, there is no apparent reason for you to take either.

BTW, research shows that for scopolamine patches to really get up to speed takes more like 8-9 hours, rather than just 4.

Hope you found this helpful.

DocVikingo

Any opinions on the Sea-Bands (the stretchy bands that use accupressure)?

Hi Texas Mike,

Some people swear by 'em. Only way to find out if they're effective for you is to try a pair. Borrow some if you can. If not, just buy the inexpensive ones.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

My wife and I used to get so drowsy useing Bonine and Dramamine. Another diver told us about a product called TripTone. The active ingredient is Dimenhydrinate.

We swear by the stuff now. We've never gotten seasick using it and we don't get the drowsy feeling that the other products give.

Steve

Hi Steve,

That's very interesting, as both Dramamine (regular formula) & Triptone are dimenhydrinate.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom