Question Most versatile Caribbean destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am researching possible dive destinations for a 10-12 day trip in May or June (2024 or 2025). Most likely, both divers and non-divers will join this trip.

So: which Caribbean island is the best option regarding the following must-haves:

1. Lots of wrecks and other (man-made) 'structures' (swim-throughs, canyons, walls) at recreational depths (<40m), not just reefs
2. Interesting landscape on land, i.e. volcano, jungle, mountains - not those flat, scrubby wind-swept planes with a palm tree every few miles
3. Interesting things to do (not just beach-going or ATV rides)

Shore diving that people can do on their own is a plus, but not a must-have.

Any suggestions in terms of destination? And even dive operations you can recommend?
I was diving and sailing all over the Caribbean. I think Guadeloupe is what you are looking for. There are wrecks, beautiful reefs, rain forest, active volcano, waterfalls, hiking and you can easily transfer to Dominica and Iles des Saintes - also great (Caribbean standard) diving there.

I’d take a look at St. Kitts.

@MidOH is there another Caribbean destination you would suggest, given our wishes?

Look at St. Lucia.

Sticking in my mind for some reason, one destination I've visited but not dove, that doesn't seem to be a big name dive destination but has diving (including wreck diving - here's a site that goes into it) but has a pretty beautiful topside and various things to do (we visited Romney Manor grounds and Fairview Great House) - is St. Kitts. A little quick Googling suggests it's got a volcano - and people apparently hike there.

View attachment 771734
View attachment 771735
View attachment 771736
View attachment 771737
View attachment 771738
View attachment 771739
It's fairly mountainous looking, but not to an extreme. Vegetation looks to vary from sparse to lush, depending on where you are. It's a cruise ship stop, so they have topside excursions.

Oh, this might be a bit of a long shot, but did you consider St. Thomas? It's a major cruise ship port, has many topside destination, I hear it's got good beaches, the diving I did (4 dives) was shallow (maybe 40 feet to the bottom?), decent viz. (maybe 50 feet?), not sure about wrecks (one site was the Navy Barges), it's another of those 'not the best in the Caribbean, but can be fun' diving places, and you could take a ferry to St. Johns and/or to St. Croix. Admiralty Dive Center (been a long time, but I really liked them) has a page showing 4 wreck diving sites.

Note: Someone else mentioned Grenada. I've never been. I recall it being praised, wreck diving discussed, and noted to have an attractive topside. I don't know why we don't see more trip reports for it. It's a volcanic island. Scuba Diver Magazine lists several wrecks. If you go, please post us a trip report with photos, including topside.

I Honeymooned in St. Kitts over 25 years ago. Topside is meh. It's a small island with just about zero forests to hike through. You can tour the whole island in less than five hours in a car.

Dominican republic is great, if your #1 goal is to relax. Or eat.

I stayed at a nearby resort, walked over to Sea Pro for diving.

If youre looking for activities every day, its a bit weak. Diving is meh. But hey, its diving. Flying in was easy. Fine dining is dirt cheap. Best cigars in the world. Snorkeling was ok. I dont think anything I did there was awesome. But did get some rest.

Downside to the Dominican Republic: The customs girl is 15. With a chip on her shoulder. Absolute worthless person. If she burst into flames, I wouldnt even piss on her. And she's the gatekeeper for the whole island. Really made their country look bad. When she asks where youre going, just hand her your itenerary with all addresses written down. Because addresses there make no sense, and even though theres only 2 resorts on the whole island, nobody has ever heard of them, because they arent very smart.

Bus ride from airport to destination is slow. Taxi's lack gps. So your drivers cant find jack squat. Generally, everyone is incompetent. Be prepared to walk around locally for dining.

Dive shops, and restaraunts were the only people on the ball and professional. It was amatuer hour, with every single other person on the island.
“If she burst into flames, I wouldn’t even piss on her” that’s awesome! Love it.

Tobago (as in Trinidad and Tobago) is off the beaten track and rarely mentioned, but might meet a lot of your criteria. I have been to Trinidad some time ago (work.. not pleasure, but very pleasurable and a truly unique Caribbean experience). I'd love to go back and explore Tobago and the diving.

Why Tobago is a Standout Caribbean Dive Destination

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom