Question Most versatile Caribbean destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobago (as in Trinidad and Tobago) is off the beaten track and rarely mentioned, but might meet a lot of your criteria. I have been to Trinidad some time ago (work.. not pleasure, but very pleasurable and a truly unique Caribbean experience). I'd love to go back and explore Tobago and the diving.

Why Tobago is a Standout Caribbean Dive Destination

Reports on Puerto Rico diving sound promising. Topside activities second to none.

I have gone to the Dominican at least once a year, sometimes twice, for the past 6 years. I must have ran into a different customs girl, had no problem. Some people forget this is not exactly a first world country and criticize the place and people, but for me I have made great friends, enjoy my diving and am going bsack March 28th...

Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) has great hikes but I do not remember wrecks and diving is by boat. Jamaica has only boat diving and their reefs are probably the worst in the whole Caribbean. From the places I've been, this leaves St Lucia.

I have gone to the Dominican at least once a year, sometimes twice, for the past 6 years. I must have ran into a different customs girl, had no problem. Some people forget this is not exactly a first world country and criticize the place and people, but for me I have made great friends, enjoy my diving and am going bsack March 28th...
Same. I had a very positive experience. I almost had an extremely negative experience when crossing the island. I started passing aggressively when there was a speed trap. Fortunately, I was passing a semi truck so the cops didn't see me. That would have been an expensive bribe to get out that one!

It was fairly rainy at night when I was there (December/January of 2016), so the viz was understandably bad when I dove in Sosua.

Are you sure?

Sports cars and bikes passed my bus at 125+ regularly. Do they have a super license in that country or something?

Are you sure?
Is your question directed at me?
Sports cars and bikes passed my bus at 125+ regularly. Do they have a super license in that country or something?
I didn't really see such cars and no sports bikes. Maybe it was due to where I went. The mopeds were fairly slow, never had their lights on at night, and some of the ways people carried stuff was comical, like two guys on a moped, guy in back holding a window in between them). I went from Santo Domingo (slogged through heavy traffic) to get to Sosua for a few nights. Then off to Las Terranas for a few more nights, then crossing over the middle of the island to Santo Domingo for a few nights in Zona Colonial before returning home.

I would have liked to dive at Bayahibe, but there wasn't time for it.

After driving in the DR, driving in Greece is no big deal to me anymore.

Yeah, we landed on the wrong side of the island because the airfare was much cheaper. Crossed the inland "highway" past the sugar cane plants. People were flying, on that road.

Yeah, we landed on the wrong side of the island because the airfare was much cheaper. Crossed the inland "highway" past the sugar cane plants. People were flying, on that road.
Sorry for not waving as I went by. That was rude of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom