Most important GoPro tip ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks good, I may need to consider a purchase. I currently use the floaty pole clipped onto my BCD. I was diving the other weekend a guy was using a 'go pro' mounted to his mask. (just got it from Christmas present from his wife). We were already in the water waiting for everyone else to join up as I looked into the water to check vis I saw this 'go pro' gently floating down out of sight... The guy was gutted and then didn't even dive because he did not like the regulator provided by the dive shop (said he wasn't able to breath properly). So all in all a total fail for him.. I did feel bad for the guy, I would be seriously pis@ed off if I lost mine.

I have a coiled one for my SLR. Pulled the stitching out of the webbing and replaced what I could with metal hardware. I'd be upset about a GoPro, I'd be LIVID about a 5d3 in a housing.

Reactions: RJP
Well this was actually a worthwhile thread. Imagine that on Scubaboard!
I got a retractor from Amazon, and it really is an effing great idea.
Mahalo for this one.

I need to get one of these for the wife.

That's nice that you don't want to lose her. Not every husband feels that way... :D

I have a bolt snap attached to my tray and a lanyard runs off of it to my wing, I never dive without it. I've actually let go of it twice, glad it was attached!!

Retractors and curly-cords create a false sense of confidence IMHO. Divers get used to being careless with the GoPro (or other camera) and develop a habit of letting it dangle and get dropped. Sooner or later that happens when the retractor/cord isn't attached, securly attached or it breaks. Then the GoPro camera is lost.

When I've found cameras etc underwater, they've always had retractors/curly-cords on them. Most get dropped when being handed up to the boat...

I put a simple bolt-snap on my hand-held kit. When not in use it is securely fastened to a D-ring or in a pocket (also securely fastened to a bungee loop or D-ring). When in use... I hold it securely. An extra precaution might be to put a simple bungee bracelet on the wrist and clip the bolt-snap to that (or use existing bungees if you mount your computer/compass in a bungee mount).

That way... the diver learns to pay attention and be careful when handling their kit... makes sure it is securely fastened each time... and doesn't have any false confidence or bad habits from a supposedly 'foolproof' solution.

My GoPro mount is attached to my tray with loctite, and the camera housing is dummy-corded back to the tray with cave line.

Dropped it once; had to leave it there for a week until I could go back to get it. Vowed it'd never happen again. =)

When I've found cameras etc underwater, they've always had retractors/curly-cords on them. Most get dropped when being handed up to the boat...
Naturally. That's when the lanyard is unclipped from the rig, so losing it becomes a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom